Posts Tagged “name server”

While working on an upcoming article for QD I ran into an issue with the dnsenum.pl Perl script. I followed the process of installing the optional Perl modules and when I went back to test dnsenum it would no longer return any IP addresses. Instead of dnsenum returning actual IP addresses it was returning odd characters. It turns out there is some form of conflict between dnsenum.pl and the Net::DNS Perl module. Below I describe the dnsenum issue in more detail and provide a work around by manually downgrading the Net::DNS Perl module by hand.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

Awhile back purehate and myself started writing articles related to Backtrack in an attempt to write a single article about each application available within Backtrack 4. Things came up and we never accomplished that goal so here we go again with a second attempt to write a single article for every Backtrack application. If you have requests for any applications we will move them up in priority so the application you need more information on will have an article released sooner.

With that being said dnsdict6 is a CLI utility that was built to enumerate IPv6 sub domains for a specific domain name. Below I describe the command line switches available and provide examples so you can see what type of output dnsdict6 provides. All commands, examples, and command output has been issued via Backtrack 5 R2.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

I have been wanting to get the use of dig on Windows 7 for awhile but hadn’t taken the time to do so until now. The problem is nslookup is not as helpful in terms of TTL of zone files, etc. and while you can accomplish your tasks with nslookup using dig makes life much easier on Windows 7 when troubleshooting DNS type issues. The other night I was in the middle of a time critical launch of a new web cluster and needed dig on the Windows 7 laptop I was working on so I decided to get it working while I was waiting for some data to transfer. I actually had slipped on setting the TTL, which was for a single sub domain that was part of the transfer, from a TTL of a entire day (86400 seconds) to a TTL of one hour (3600 seconds). Anyhow below is more information on installing dig on a Windows 7 computer.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments 14 Comments »