I have been working with some older versions of Windows 2000 lately including Windows 2000 SP2 or Service Pack 2. On this version of Windows 2000 SP2 the version of Internet Explorer or IE is 5.00.3315.1000 which is completely outdated. I doubt that many others will be running into Runtime Errors however it is possible even in more current versions of Internet Explorer though the setting that resolves this issue is enabled by default so unless you have modified the settings you should not run into this issue. Below we describe the error in more detail and how to easily change a single settings to fix the problem.
I have looked in the past but never found a good tool for testing multiple browsers in both OSX and Windows however today I came across an Adobe product called BrowserLab that works great. The Adobe BrowserLab service is an online one that doesn’t cost any money and when I initially used it I only had to verify my email address and then I was off to the races testing websites in multiple browsers. Below I describe the accuracy of BrowserLab, the browsers you can test, and how easy it is to use.
I have been using Google Chrome for quite sometime and believe it to currently be the best all around browser. The browser is easily the most lightweight mainstream browser available and it appears to be gaining ground on the other popular browsers including FireFox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. There are still certain web sites and hardware that has internal browsers that require you to use FireFox or IE however that list continues to become shorter. Anyhow the current stable version of Google Chrome is 7.0.517.44 and I wanted to upgrade to the latest beta version which is Google Chrome version 8.0.552.28.
I have been on vacation for the past few weeks and every country I go to, when I open my home page which is Google, it goes to the Google page of that particular country. I have found this to be really annoying. The browser I am using is Google Chrome however I experienced the same behavior in Firefox. I looked through all the options and setting but it seems that the language settings only cover the text of the actual browser and not the language settings of the pages in the browser. After a little searching I found a simple fix.
Earlier this I had an interesting problem where Internet Explorer would not launch all the way on a friends computer. When the IE application was clicked on it would flash on the screen and then close immediately. I believe there was either some form of virus left on the computer that was closing Internet Explorer or that the upgrade I had just performed of IE6 to IE7 was causing a different issue. My initial plan was to continue upgrading Windows XP on this friends computer but I could not do this on the Windows Update site without Internet Explorer. Below is a work around if your Internet Explorer is not functioning properly and you would like to try to apply Windows patches from the Windows Update site anyway.