Posts Tagged “directory”

Following up to the article written yesterday you will likely have also received this error if you also received the error regarding the apt-mirror.lock file when attempting to mirror a repository on Ubuntu Linux using apt-mirror. The current error relates to the fact that a skel directory does not exist in the root directory of the repo you are attempting to create. Below the error is described in more detail as well as instructions for fixing it by creating the skel directory.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

Earlier when upgrading a WordPress site that is running on a CentOS Linux server I needed to quickly backup the entire site to then perform an upgrade of the core WordPress installation. There are multiple directories located beneath the primary site folder that I didn’t need to backup including some caching directories as well as a database backup directory since all of those directories are not required to restore the site in case of an issue during the WP upgrade. Use the information below to create a tar archive while excluding multiple sub directories.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

The other day I was attempting to use the Linux ftp command line application to obtain all of the files, sub directories, and files within the sub directories from an FTP site. The first issue I ran into was the issue of being prompted to confirm each and every file that is downloaded. Below I describe how to accomplish turning off the prompt and just to note I ended up using “wget” to download all of the files, sub directories, and files within the sub directories via FTP on the remote server.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

Recently I was moving files from one directory to another on a CentOS 5.4 server and ran into an issue. When attempting to move every single file in the directory I received an error which is noted below. It took me a couple minutes but I figured out by trial and error that the issue was related to files starting with a “-”(dash) because the mv command thought that I was attempting to use a switch. The resolution is easy using “./”. Look at the below examples for more information about the error and how it was resolved.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments 3 Comments »

A friend asked me to help him clean up his iTunes library on his iMac the other night so I asked him to bring it by. When he did I realized what had happened which is he had moved the location of his iTunes folder from his computer to an external drive. After moving the folder he imported all of his music again which caused iTunes to think his 8,000 MP3′s had become 16,000 MP3′s. Half of the tracks had red exclamation points by them because iTunes had information about them but could no longer locate the file since he had moved all of the music to a new folder in a different location. I found an easy solution to resolve this problem on a Mac which I describe in detail below.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »