Xbox 360 Transfer Account From Hard Drive To USB Flash Drive
Recently I have been using my Xbox 360 gamer profile a lot at my office to stream music using Zune. While I do have an Xbox 360 at my office and at my house it can be a pain because I have to lug the hard drive with my Microsoft Xbox 360 Gamer Profile on it back and forth between the two locations. Last week I ordered a 16GB USB flash drive to move my account onto so I would only have to take a USB stick with me when streaming music at locations that already had a Xbox 360 in place.
The instructions below assume that you have already formatted the USB drive to work properly with a Microsoft Xbox 360 Gaming Console. If you have not already completed this step you can follow the directions that we previously posted in an article titled Configure USB Flash Drive To Work With Xbox 360.
Transfer Account From Xbox Hard Drive To USB Flash Drive:
- Power Xbox 360 On: First power your Xbox 360 on to begin the process. Also make sure that the Xbox 360 hard drive and the USB flash drive are both attached to the Microsoft Xbox 360 Gaming Console at this time.
- Xbox 360 System Settings: Navigate the menu on the Xbox home screen to the far right until you reach Settings and select System to display the Xbox 360 System Settings screen as shown in the below example image.
- Xbox 360 Storage Devices: Scroll down to Storage and click the A button on the Xbox 360 controller to list the Storage Devices currently attached to the Microsoft Xbox 360 Gaming Console as shown in the below example image.
- Xbox 360 Move Gamer Profile: You can actually move the Gamer Profile a couple different ways but in this example we have selected to go into the details of the Gamer Profile on the default Xbox 360 hard drive and select the move process there. The first thing to do from the Storage Devices screen is to highlight the hard drive that your Gamer Profile exists on and click the A button on your Microsoft Xbox 360 Gaming Console controller. This will open the list of folders on the Xbox hard drive as shown in the below example image.
Highlight the Gamer Profiles folder as shown in the image above and click the A button to display the Gamer Profiles currently on your Xbox 360 Gaming Console hard drive as shown in the below example image.
Highlight the Gamer Profile you want to move and click the A button on the Xbox controller. This should open the Gamer Profile data options as shown below.
Now highlight the Move option from the Gamer Profile details screen and click the A button on your Xbox 360 controller which will open the Move Profile confirmation window as shown in the below example image.
Please note that agreeing to the Move Profile confirmation window will sign you out of Xbox Live. To confirm that you want to move your Gamer Profile move the green highlight from No to Yes and click the A button which will next display a list of devices where the Gamer Profile can be moved as shown below.
Highlight the USB flash drive which if you have not renamed it will be named Memory Unit and then click the A button on your Microsoft Xbox 360 controller to begin the Gamer Profile move process. During the Gamer Profile move process the below status window will display.
Once the process is completed the Gamer Profile you moved will no longer display on the hard drive Gamer Profile list as shown below.
- Confirm Xbox 360 Gamer Profile Moved: On the Xbox 360 hard drive Gamer Profile list screen click the B button to move back to the complete list of Xbox 360 Storage Devices as shown in the below example image.
Now highlight the USB flash drive in the list, which in this example is “***one 360″, and click the green A button on your Xbox controller to list the folders on the USB flash drive as shown in the below example. Also notice that the Gamer Profile folder is size no longer 0 KB.
In this example the Gamer Profile folder displays that it is now 21 MB instead of 0 KB which confirms the Gamer Profile has been moved successfully. If you want to confirm the correct Gamer Profile has been moved select the Gamer Profiles folder and click the A button to list the Gamer Profiles on the USB flash drive.
- Confirm Xbox Gamer Profile Functional: Now shutdown the Xbox 360 console and remove the hard drive so we can test if the Gamer Profile is operating as expected from the USB flash drive. Once the hard drive has been removed power the Microsoft Xbox 360 Gaming Console back on. It is likely that an update will need to be installed as shown in the below example image.
Highlight Yes and click the A button to apply the Xbox 360 System Update. Once you confirm the update the System Update status window will display as shown in the example image below.
Once the System Update has downloaded your Xbox 360 Console will reboot to apply the update. Once this process completes the Xbox 360 should automatically login to Xbox Live and you should be logged in with the Gamer Profile that was moved to the USB flash drive without a hard drive attached to the Xbox 360.
Now traveling between locations that have Xbox 360′s should be much less of a hassle since you now will only have to travel with a USB flash drive instead of a Xbox 360 hard drive.