Adaptec Storage Manager Error: Xlib: connection to :1.0 refused by server
When attempting to start the Adaptec Storage Manager you might receive an error complaining about the Xlib connection being refused by the server. If you are attempting to launch the Adaptec Storage Manager as root this is likely related to X11 security and the fact that you cannot connect to X as root. Below is the error output followed by the solution to resolve.
Error Launching The Adaptec Storage Manager: StorMan.sh
- [root@dev StorMan]# sh StorMan.sh
- Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server
- Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
- Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':1.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
- at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
- at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$000(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:53)
- at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:142)
- at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
- at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:131)
- at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
- at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
- at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:68)
- at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:270)
- at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:318)
- at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:419)
- at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:384)
- at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:150)
- at com.ibm.sysmgt.raidmgr.mgtGUI.Launch.<clinit>(Launch.java:216)
- No message, no subject; hope that's ok
- [root@dev StorMan]#
Login to your server as a user other than root and the Adaptec Storage Manager should launch without issue. Make sure the user has sudo access as required by StorMan.sh. In this example we are attempting to launch StorMan.sh from a 64-bit CentOS Linux server. As you can see below the GUI operates without issue when launching as the user someuser.
Launch Adaptec Storage Manager On CentOS Linux:
- [someuser@dev ~]$ sh /usr/StorMan/StorMan.sh
- sh: /usr/StorMan/StorMan.sh: Permission denied
- [someuser@dev ~]$ sudo sh /usr/StorMan/StorMan.sh
- [sudo] password for someuser:
The above output from the Terminal window will be followed by the Adaptec Storage Manager GUI launching as shown in the below example image.
Adaptec Storage Manager GUI On CentOS Linux:
You can now analyze the RAID group built on the Adaptec RAID card in your CentOS Linux server.