After recently reinstalling Windows 7 on my laptop I was getting all of my typical applications reinstalled and continued getting a popup error for Evernote after getting it configured. I use Evernote to automatically sync notes I take in Notepad++ remotely to Evernote’s servers so I have a copy of all my notes in real time in a remote location in case anything drastic happens with my laptop. Anyhow I had never seen this error before and all I was doing was syncing the same notes that have been incrementally synced to Evernote for years now. I finally took the time to look in the logs, locate the issue, and easily resolve it by removing the problem notes which I didn’t need any longer anyhow.
Evernote Sync: The Operation You’ve Performed Cannot Be Completed:
As you can see above I was getting to separate errors that continued to appear since I have Evernote set to synchronize in real time. The hard part was I don’t add titles to my notes so the above errors weren’t as descriptive as they may seem consider I have thousands and thousands of notes in the folders that are synchronized to Evernote’s servers. Finally once I found some time I looked in Evernote’s Activity log file which can be viewed by launching Evernote, clicking on Help in the top navigation bar, and selecting Activity Log from the drop down. Below is a portion of the Activity log I viewed that pointed me right to the two trouble files causing the above errors.
Evernote Activity Log Clip:
Log opened on 2011/03/11 17:23:29 (UTC-5:00) 17:23:29  Command line: "C:Program Files (x86)EvernoteEvernoteEvernote.exe" 17:23:29  Client info: Evernote Windows/131509; Windows/6.1.7601 Service Pack 1; 17:23:29  Opened database: C:UsersalexAppDataLocalEvernoteEvernoteDatabasesalexkah.exb (111MB Fixed) 17:23:29  Import folder: "C:qdworkingtemp-desktop" started, ImportOneLevelDeep 17:23:29  Commit failed: code=00000003, TRAN_LIMIT_CHECK_FAILED, error: "Note title "User Last Post(older than 1 day in red) Last Connectivity Event Strap Not Worn Lost Data Total Compliance% SeniorLogins CaregiverLogins Total Logins" problem: has invalid characters" 17:23:29  Could not create note from text, error: TRAN_LIMIT_CHECK_FAILED 17:23:29  Failed to import: "C:qdworkingtemp-desktopxxxxxxxxx-compliance.txt" 17:23:29  Commit failed: code=00000003, TRAN_LIMIT_CHECK_FAILED, error: "Note title "[+] 342 XXX XXXX xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx / partner_demo 15 Mar 14:21" problem: has invalid characters" 17:23:29  Could not create note from text, error: TRAN_LIMIT_CHECK_FAILED 17:23:29  Failed to import: "C:qdworkingtemp-desktopxxxxx-data.txt" 17:23:29  Folder Import: "C:qdworkingtemp-desktopqjackctl.txt" has zero file size 17:25:29  AutoUpdate: checking for update at: http://update.evernote.com/public/ENWin4/update.xml 17:25:29  Received status code 200 when accessing URL http://update.evernote.com/public/ENWin4/update.xml 17:25:29  AutoUpdate: no update found, remote revision is 127835, local revision is 131509
As you can see Evernote is complaining of invalid characters in the files and notes each problem file starting with “Failed Import….”. I simply moved those two files outside of the folder structure that is synchronized to Evernote and things worked without issue after that.