Earlier when I plugged my iPhone into my laptop via USB to charge it I got a pop up error message stating that the sync process with iTunes could not take place because the iPhone backup was corrupted. I believe yesterday in the middle of syncing with iTunes I had to unplug my iPhone and it must have corrupted the backup that was in process. Fixing this problem is easily accomplished by deleting the backup file that iTunes stores. Below I have more details about the error itself as well as steps on how to resolve the issue.

iTunes Backup Corrupt Error When Syncing iPhone:

iTunes Could Not Backup The iPhone

iPhone Sync Error Text: iTunes could not back up the iPhone “alex iPhone” because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone. Delete the backup for this iPhone and then try again.

Resolve Corrupt iPhone Backup Error When Syncing iPhone:

1. Launch iTunes: If you have not already done so launch iTunes. Once iTunes has finished loading proceed to the next step.
  2. iTunes Preferences: Click on Edit in the top navigation bar of iTunes and select preferences from the drop down menu as shown below.

iTunes Edit Navigation Menu

Once you click on Preferences the iTunes Preferences configuration window will open as shown in the below example image.

iTunes Preferences Configuration Window

3. iTunes Devices: Once the Preferences configuration window is open click on the Devices tab as shown in the below example image.

iTunes Devices Preferences

4. Delete iPhone Backup: Once the Devices preferences window is open click on the iPhone backup in question as shown in the below example image.

Highlight iPhone Backup In iTunes

Once the iPhone backup is highlighted click the Delete Backup button which will pop up the below verification window.

iTunes: Are You Sure You Want To Delete The Backup?

Click the Delete Backup button to finish the delete process. Once the backup has been deleted the iPhone backups will be empty in iTunes as shown in the below example image.

iTunes: iPhone Backup Deleted

5. Sync iPhone: After you have deleted the backup click the OK button to close the iTunes Preferences configuration window. Once closed synchronize your iPhone.

Your iPhone should now sync without issue.

List Price: $19.95 USD
New From: 0 Out of Stock
Used from: Out of Stock

List Price: $49.95 USD
New From: 0 Out of Stock
Used from: Out of Stock

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
219 Responses to “iTunes Could Not Back Up The iPhone Because The Backup Was Corrupt”
  1. Joe says:

Finally!! After reading so many blogs, I was finally able to figure out how to fix the problem.

I am using a MAC with latest iTunes. Had to delete all the backup files in my iTunes, which included backups from other iPhones in our family. This was the only way I could get this iPhone 3G to backup successfully and do the latest update. Tried all the other methods, including Time Zones, etc and none of them worked. I think those methods only worked on Windoze Computers :-)

Hello Joe,

Thanks for posting the details of how you resolved the problem on your Mac.

2. carly says:

Thanks so much for posting this, finally my problem is resolved!! No thanks to the guy in the Apple shop!

Hello carly,

No problem. Glad to hear you got it worked out. Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

3. tom says:

i found that deleting the past backups throught itunes and changing my time zone didnt help me….so what i did was went here (Navigate to the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync) and then go into the folder “Backup” and delete the all backups in there (doesnt say “tom’s ipjone” but says things like “c0205jfurksk”)…..when i tried to delete the back ups off itunes it must’nt of deleted all of them (although it said it did) this soloution worked for me

Hello tom,

Glad to hear you got it worked out. We really appreciate you taking the time to expand on what we have in the article and explain your situation so others can try this as well if the steps in the article don’t resolve he problem.

Alexis Reply:

Thank you so much Tom; I tried it and it finally worked… same as you i first tried to delete the backup from iTunes but I guess it just deleted it partially.

Hello Alexis,

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

joe Reply:

Thanks Tom!! I had the same problem and I found an old backup file so I deleted it.Now it works!

Nicola Reply:

Genius! That has been bugging me for so long!!! Very pleased I didn’t have to pay for the phone support.

4. neil says:

brilliant, fault cured……many thanks.

Hello neil,

5. jessica says:

Hey Alex,

I’ve tried that, plus everything else that everyone has responded with and still, I get the same message!! I cannot find the backup file from the C:\ drive and so I wasn’t able to do that. :(

Are there any other methods that you think would work? I can’t do the update without backing up my iPhone and it’s FRUSTRATING.

Thanks!

Hello Jessica,

What other actions specifically have you tested? I suggest looking at Tom’s comment above which should resolve the problem.

6. Dave says:

Had this problem for the last week or so and couldn’t find out why. 30 seconds with your instructions and problem solved. Thanks very much!

Hello Dave,

Great to hear! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

7. jessica cobert says:

thank you so much, that was so easy….cheers!

Hello jessica,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

8. Kevin Nolan says:

Hello Alex,

The fix was so simple yet so fantastic. Thanks very much for all your help.

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

No problem. Thanks for leaving feedback.

9. Syed says:

Hi,
    I’m having a bit of a problem, the last back up I had done succesfully was yesterday at 19:35, then i upgraded my iphone to 4.1, upgraded iTunes to 10.1 and then tried to restore from back and am now getting:
    “iTunes could not back up the iphone “My Phone” because a session could not be started with the iphone”. I’ve tried to delete the back up files through iTunes as well as through the directory in my C:\users folder and just try a normal back but it comes up with the same message. I’ve even tried to back up on another computer but am getting the same message.
    Any ideas?
    Am using Windows 7 if that’s of any help.

Hello Syed,

You might try reinstalling iTunes to see if that helps resolve the issue. If you have already resolved the problem we would love to hear what fixed the issue.

10. Danielle says:

if i do this will it delete everyhting off my phone?

Hello Danielle,

No. It is deleting a backup of the iPhone only. Regardless you might want to move the backups to a different location in case something else goes wrong before you are able to create another backup.

11. Mel says:

OMG thanks soooo much Alex, I have been trying everything to fix this problem on my phone. Finally thanks to you my problem has been resolved :) thanks again..

Hello Mel,

12. David Skeen says:

spot on thanks!!!

Hello David,

No problem! We are glad you got the iPhone backup to iTunes working! Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

13. oquinn says:

tried this, but when i delete the backup in that pane, it dissapears, and when i reopen it, it reappears, doesnt seem to delete….

Hello oquinn,

I have seen this happen before. When it does close iTunes and delete the backups directly. I would sugggest making a copy of the backups just in case you need them and after you make the backup delete the files/directories from the below directory.

C:\Users\USERNAME HERE\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Hope that helps.

14. mama dawn says:

I have done the above but it still says the back up is corrupt…In devices there is no backup to delete!? what to do next any suggestions?

Hello mama dawn,

The steps in the article are what worked for me so I wasn’t required to move beyond these steps in troubleshooting. You might try reading through all of the comments as numerous people have listed steps beyond the steps in the article they were required to take to resolve their issues. Hope that helps.

15. ric says:

OMG I dont normally leave random messages but you saved me so much agro I felt it nessersary to wish you well and thank you for helping me with my Iphone problem…

Happy new year!!

Hello ric,

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and Happy New Year to you as well!

16. Sherri says:

Thanks! Now that I have deleted the backup and updated iphone-how do i go about creating another backup?

Hello Sherri,

Backups should happen automatically sometimes when you attach your iPhone via USB to your computer. If not then attach your iPhone via USB and right click your iPhone when it displays in the left navigation within iTunes. You will be able to select Back Up from the drop down which will backup your iPhone to your computer.

17. Mauro says:

Hi.
    Great tip. I have the same problem myself, but I can’t go through with your suggestion until I make sure of the following: won’t deleting the backup delete all apps and stuff in the iPhone? Like, won’t iTunes not recognize it and try to format it or think it’s empty because there is no backup and sync it to nothing, thus deleting everything?
    This might be obvious because nobody commented on it, but I still gotta ask. Thank you a lot!
    Mauro

Hello Mauro,

Deleting the backup will not delete all of the apps. Just make sure after you delete the backup that you right click the iPhone when it is attached, then first transfer purchases, and then backup the iPhone again. After that you should be all set.

Thanks for leaving feedback as well.

Mauro Reply:

I checked again and I didn’t have a backup file to delete. I ended up deleting the file from the location and transferring purchases. Thanks a lot, Alex! Have a good 2011.

Hello Mauro,

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

18. Carl says:

I had the same issue and after deleting the device backup I was still not able to back up due to corrupt file. I had to physically delete the file from the folder.

Hello Carl,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. It appears many people have had the same issue as you that even when the backup is deleted from the iTunes interface you still have to go into the backup folder itself and physically delete the file so thanks for posting the feedback!

19. Ann says:

THANK YOU! You are a lifesaver!

Ann

Hello Ann,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

20. Juan says:

veryhelpful.

Hello Juan,

21. yuki says:

really really really really thank U thank U thank U thank U~~~ i’m grateful to U ,,^.^ thankS~ again

Hello yuki,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

22. jo says:

Thank you – it worked!

Hello jo,

No problem! Thanks for posting feedback.

23. Deb says:

A quick easy fix when i thought i would have to restore my iphone back to factory settings. Thank you soooo much. You have made me one very happy girl!!!

Hello Deb,

No problem. Always nice to hear when one of our articles fixes someones issue. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

24. Jorden says:

Thanks, fixed the issue I was having with my iPod. :).

Hello Jorden,

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

25. Terese says:

Thank you so much! I couldn’t figure out how to fix it. I was going to the right area, just not the right window. Thank you SO MUCH!

Hello Terese,

26. Josh says:

Yeah, this didn’t work for me. Still showing the same error message. Deleted all backups. Reset sync history. Still nothing.

Hello Josh,

Josh Reply:

The manual delete did the trick!

Hello Josh,

Great news. Thanks for taking the time to follow up and let us know the issue is resolved.

27. Leah says:

Not working for me! I do not have any backups left either. I also reinstalled iTunes :-( I need to back up my phone asap

Hello Leah,

Have you read through all of the comments? There are suggestions about manually removing corrupted backups that do not display in iTunes that should resolve your issue unless you have already tried that. There are other suggestions in the previous comments as well.

28. Robyn says:

Thank you so much!

Hello Robyn,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

29. James says:

Hi, i just bought a iPhone4 and 1st time using it. i still can’t understand what “manually removing corrupted backups” mean.

-my iTune is 10.1.2.17
    -Get my iphone4 2 weeks ago.
    -no backup record in Edit -> Preferences –> Devices –> Delete Backup
    -no picture and video
    - just free apps + purchased watsapp application only.
    -1st time sync
    -”Authorize this computer”

and the msg still pop out… pls help. thanks..

Hello James,

If your iPhone is brand new I would suggest getting help from Apple Support as this article is about corrupt backups not first time backups.

30. Haley says:

Thank you so much! I had no idea what to do when this happened to me. I was going to ask the Apple store for help, but i didn’t have to after using your advice!

Hello Haley,

31. stephanie says:

That was SO frustrating! Thank you so much. Worked like a charm and now the features that did not work like I lost my ringtones and the new sms tones wouldn’t work….all is now well. Appreciate you taking the time to post your wisdom.

Hello Stephanie,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

32. James says:

Thanks, that was very irritating.

Hello James,

No problem. Thanks for posting feedback.

33. Barbara says:

thank-you so much for the help! This has been going on for some time and I had no clue how to fix the problem. Now it getting the latest updates and everything is fine!

Hello Barbara,

34. Malmalan says:

Still showing the same error message, even after deleting the backup??

Hello Malmalan,

You should read through the older comments as there are a couple suggestions that should resolve the issue for you. The one that should be tried first is manually deleting the backups from the location that iTunes stores them.

Hope that helps.

35. abdulkareem says:

thank you very much.. my problem is solved
    شكرا لكم .. انحلت مشكلتي

Hello abdulkareem,

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

36. Kelly says:

I am so glad I finally just googled this message and how great it was that you walked me through this! It is fixed and I have just re-synced it! Thanks again!

Hello Kelly,

I am glad you googled it as well. Glad to hear it is all working properly. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

37. Jackie says:

Thanks!! That was really getting to be irritating… glad i googled it!

Hello Jackie,

No problem. Thanks for posting feedback.

38. Mays says:

Thank you, gotta say the advise is much better than the apple shop, they wanted to restore my phone!

Hello Mays,

39. Vanessa Laye says:

Hi, This doenst appear to be working for my phone

Hello Vanessa,

You will need to provide more information to get any sort of useful response.

40. Connor says:

Thank you so much for your help!!! The Apple support was try make me purchase a session to resolve. You saved me $ and time with your great instructions.

Thx!! :P

Hello Connor,

No problem. Glad we saved you some money. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

41. Kayla says:

That was easy! I was about to make a trip to the nearest Apple store which is 50 minutes away. You saved me time and money. Thank you for sharing.

Hello Kayla,

No problem. It is always nice to hear when we save someone some money. Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

42. Ed Maz says:

Big thanks from me also! Worked great

Hello Ed,

43. Huxtable says:

I an getting this error message and have deleted my backup file as outlined above, but I still get the error. It started when iTunes “quit responding” and I had to terminate it. I am running windows 7, the lates iTunes (ver4.2.1) and the latest iPhone software. Is there another location where a corrupt file is located?

lamchop0000 Reply:

i had the same exact problem. and i fixed it

go into the backup location c: users/(username)/appdata/roaming/apple computer/mobilesync/backup/ and deleting the folder thats inside.

at first i couldnt find this path but if you go in folder options under the view tab you can check the bubble “show hidden files, folders, and drives” it will show up.

after that sync and backup worked like normal. good luck.

Huxtable Reply:

Thanks lamchopoooo, but after paying apple $69.00 to extend my maint. contract they solved it buy doing exactly what you sent me. Although we did remove all Apple software and re-install it all, then delete the folder you identified. I am new to this support site and should have waited a little longer, next time I will.

Thanks

Hello Huxtable,

Sorry to hear you had to pay money to Apple to extend your support contract but glad you got the issue resolved.

Hello lamchopoooo,

Thanks for taking the time to help out Huxtable! It is always appreciated when people take time to post information to assist others.

Helena Reply:

for me, everything was going great except for when I got to apple computer! there wasnt a file that said mobilesync! IM SO FRUSTRATED! ARRGH!

44. Dan says:

Well this didn’t work for me. I am getting a return code of 30. Deleted all backups and made sure directories had proper permissions. Still get the error of 30.

Actually copied the UID of the laptop to a desktop machine so I could try to sync iTunes there. Still got a RC of 30. I also have an iPad and it has no problems backing up.

Hello Dan,

What iPhone hardware version do you have? What version of software are you running on the iPhone? Is the iPhone jailbroken? What is the exact error returned? Is it returned on the iPhone or within iTunes?

45. Dan says:

iPhone 4.2 not jailbroken, and latest iTunes iPhone4. (Again my iPad backs up just fine). I’m convinced it has to do that I had Mobile Me set up and my account terminated in january. Ever since then I get the Error Code 30, and in the LOG it says something about Domain Error. They sync still works, it’s just that no back up is written out :(

Hello Dan,

I personally have never used MobileMe but I would try removing the application if you have not done that yet. If that doesn’t work connect your iPhone to your computer via USB and see if there are any settings within iTunes once your iPhone is connected. I believe they are located underneath the INFO tab once you have your iPhone highlighted in iTunes.

Hope that helps.

46. mason says:

awesome worked! Cheers!

Hello mason,

Good to hear! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

47. Alexander says:

That was very simple.

Best regards

Alexander

Hello Alexander,

No problem. Thanks for posting feedback!

48. KEVIN says:

I am having a simular problem but is frozen with no error message. I just locks up with the rotating (wheel looking circle) coming on every 2-3 seconds. Once this circle apears it locks everything up and goes back to the locked menu. It functions long enough for you to slide the unlock bar and click on any app or not click on any app before it locks and goes back into the 2-3 second cycle of the wheel (appearing). I”ve done a soft reboot and a hard reboot. Both times when I restore the last synced file it goes back into the cycle. If when it asks to “set up new phone” I select “set up as a new phone” my phone works perfectly fine but I’ve lost all my information (Calendar and Contacts being the most important:-(. I even went as far as purchasing ANOTHER Iphone but the same thing to the new phone when I restore. Apparently there is a corrupt file that I”ve save…..funny things is that my Iphone has been synced to different home PC’s and one was over a month ago……..when I restore the month old information it goes back into the cycle:-( Is there any way for me to get the Contact and Calendar info off my locked phone…please help.

Hello Kevin,

Unfortunately it sounds like your issue is out of the scope of this article. If this data is critical to you I would suggest taking your computer and your iPhone to the closest Apple Store to see if a certified technician can assist.

49. Eriam says:

merci beaucoup pour cette info. ça marche !

Bonjour Erin,

Pas de problème! Merci d’avoir pris le temps de laisser des commentaires!

Merci.

50. Chris says:

Hey can i just say, you are an absolute ledgend! lol. this message has been ocming up for a long time and the other day the new update for my iphone 4 came up and it wouldnt let me download the new update as it wouldnt back up the phone first. I don’t think i’ve ever found instructions so straight forward for what seemed something so complicated lol. Thank you again

Chris

Hello Chris,

Hey thanks man! It is really nice to get such positive feedback like this. We spend a lot of time writing articles that we share with the public at no cost and a lot of the time we get negative feedback for issues outside of our control so it is messages like yours that reassure us why we spend so much time providing instructional articles for everyone to use. Anyhow we always appreciate any feedback but comments like yours really encourage us to continue doing what we do. Thanks man!!

51. hybriddude says:

Dude – very helpful! Thank you for helping to stop this annoyagram. It happened when I was syncing one day to my work PC, which froze, thus corrupting my files. Luckily I had my home Mac to get the data back. But the “backup corrupt” message still came back. Now it’s gone. Thank you!

Hello hybriddude,

52. Lauro Riker says:

Man,

Thank you very much. It was so annoying having that thing poppinp up at the screen all the time and now I’m free!

Hello Lauro,

Free… free at last!

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

53. Christina Collins says:

I did this and now the backup box is empty and I still keep getting this message, now what?

Thanks CHristina

Hello Christina,

This has been answered in previous comments. Please take the time to read back through the older comments.

Christina Collins Reply:

thank you. I didn’t even realize there were olders comments. LOL I just read what I saw and tried it. Thanks for all the help.
    Christina

Hello Christina,

No problem. It is not the easiest link to see so no worries. Hope it helped.

54. Janice says:

Hi Alex,

This seemed to elevated the issue, but how do I restore my contacts, calendar, and notes that were previously on my Iphone?

Thanks

Hello Janice,

It sounds as if your issue was different than was is described in the article. The notes, contacts, calendar, etc. should have still been located on the iPhone itself as you deleted only the backup from your PC. I would look to see if you have any older backups on the PC that can be restored and verify your sync settings before you sync again to make sure they are not overwriting the data on the iPhone.

55. Chris says:

Hi Alex.Thanks for helping out.I had exactly the same problem as you.(Backup corrupt or not compatible)Your step by step advice was very clear & easy to understand & resolved my issue perfectly.I guess It helps when you know your way around & understand the itunes menu like you do..Thanks a million dude!

Hello Chris,

No problem at all man!~ I appreciate the great feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. Knowing that our articles help people like this is exactly why we spend the time writing them.

56. Helena says:

it won’t work with me! when i go to devices, there isnt any backup on there, but when I try to sync, the message still pops up!! >:(

Hello Helena,

This has been addressed numerous times. Please take the time to read back through the older comments for the answer.

57. Jess says:

Thank you so much! Itunes wouldn’t let me update the software on my phone because of that issue. It was so annoying.

Hello Jess,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

58. Kasey says:

OMG thank you so much. I’ve been googleing every possible way of doing this and nothing came up. I was seriously about to pull my hair out and I thought this would be impossible. This was a really great help and again thank you very much.

Hello Kasey,

No problem. Thanks for posting feedback.

59. Jessica Rose says:

i am having the same problem EXCEPT all my pictures, videos, apps, and contacts are already gone. is there any way to get them back. i tried clicking on restore, but it said when i did my backup, it was corrupt… soooo… now what…

60. Jessica Rose says:

i really hope there is a way to fix it. i had over 900 pictures on my phone. i don’t care so much that my music is gone, but my pictures are everything. if you need me to explain my problem more i can.

61. SimonSolar says:

Hi Alex – this is a great help
    Has anyone asked Apple why the backup becomes corrupt – not much good as a backup is it?
    Also
    Can you tell me if the sync and backup is the same thing? In the old Activesync days, deleting something off the phone meant it would ‘sync’ and delete the files off the PC !

Hello SimonSolar,

I believe the backup can become corrupt for many reasons one of which I have seen before which is stopping a sync in the middle of the backup process can provide a corrupt backup.

Sync and Backup should be different. The backup actually creates a folder that has incremental backups of the phone itself including settings, etc. The sync does what it sounds like and synchronizes the different categories (photos, ringtones, music, movies, tv shows, etc.) between the iPhone and iTunes.

Hope that helps.

62. Michael says:

Hi Alex , the problem I have on a XP PC ix it will not Delete the Back up file I tryed many time , it shows back up in the Backup directory ,

Hello Michael,

Sounds like some form of permission problem or that an application already has the file open. It is hard to say exactly without knowing the error message you receive when attempting to delete but I would suggest rebooting your computer after you make sure that iTunes will not start automatically on reboot. Once you reboot then attempt to delete the file and if that doesn’t work try booting into safe mode to delete the file.

63. Istvan says:

Hi

I have the same problem, but in the preferences menü, I have nothing in the backup window, there is no backup to delete. Any solution?

Hermod Reply:

Hi
    I had the same problem, with the missing backup from the preferences menu.

I fixed it by opening the backup folder (:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup). The backup folder contained one folder, which I deleted. Then I went back to iTunes, right clicked my iPhone and chose Back Up. now everything works fine!

I’m using Windows 7, so the path to the backup folder may be different in your case.

Hermod

Hello Hermod,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide good advice.

Hello Istvan,

Looks like Hermod replied with exactly the answer I would have suggested. Hopefully the above steps worked for you.

64. Help PLeASe says:

hey i need help i have the same problem but wheni check on my backups i dontt have anything there..where can i find my back up on my pc..i have wondows vista please help

Hello Help PLeASe,

Please see the comment above by Hermod. The folder path to iPhone backups on Windows Vista will be the exact same as the folder path on Windows 7. If you follow Hermod’s suggestion you should be able to locate the iPhone backup not displaying within iTunes and manually remove it to resolve the issue with your iPhone backups.

Cristian Reply:

okay but i dont know where to locate the BACKUP on my wondows

Hello Cristian,

In the future please only post one response.

65. Cristian says:

okay but i dont know where to locate the BACKUP since it deleted it

Hello Cristian,

If you deleted the backup then it is gone. The goal of this article is to be able to create new backups after a backup becomes corrupted within iTunes. In the future you should copy the backup elsewhere before deleting it if you need the backup.

66. Micah says:

I cant locate the files :\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup)
    Where exactly do I search for this using a windows vista?

67. Ersin says:

Hi, I was wondering if deleting the backup will cause the iphone to lose contacts, etc?

Hello Ersin,

You should first make a backup of the backup just by say copying it and pasting it in another directory or something. Regardless though the contacts should not be deleted as long as they are currently displaying on the iPhone and on your PC for instance. The backup is just that… a backup so you should be OK either way.

Just make sure to backup the backup before deleting!

68. James says:

Hi

I have seen your advice i.e. delete the back ups from prefrence-devices (I have none of them)
    So I followed yor next piece of advice in terms off application data -apple computer – itunes however all I have in this folder is a file called itunes prefs.xml. So I cannot even delete the back up from there. Do you have any ideas what I can do?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer the questions.

Hello James,

I have not run into your exact scenario so unfortunately I am not sure. If iTunes is complaining of a backup then it does exist somewhere. You might try reading back through all of the older comments to see if someone else mentions the same scenario. Once you find the solution let us know what it is and then if others end up here with the same problem they won’t have to go through as much of a hassle.

69. emilijo says:

Hi,
    it seams that this advice is ok but I have one problem. In my backup folder there are few backup files with very strange names. How should I know which one to delete. I have also iphone 4 and my old 3GS which are also sync with my iTunes

Hello emilijo,

I am so glad you think this advice is *ok.

I would move them all to a different directory without deleting them. That should solve your problem and you will have the other files if you ever need them.

70. kam says:

worked for me thank you

Hello kam,

71. meredith says:

thank you this helped alot!!

Kortney Reply:

Hello Kortney,

YEEESSS!!

Hello meredith,

No problem. Thanks for posting feedback.

72. Kae says:

thx so much :D

Hello Kae,

73. Cactus says:

I am now having this problem but not solved. I have iphone 4 and itunes 10.4 with windows 7. What can i do ? please any body help me. I have done exact above mentioned method but all goes to bin.

Hello Cactus,

You receive the same error after following the steps above? You are deleting all of the backups in the backup directory? What does “all goes to bin” mean?

Steph Reply:

Hi Alex,
    I have 3 back ups in my folder, iPhone, iPod & iPad. Do I need to delete all of these….or just the device I am trying to back up at the moment? I currently have only deleted one, the device I am trying to back up.
    Sorry for stupid questions but this is way out of my comfort zone (computers;)
    I just purchased an iPad and iMac and want to move everything over from my 7 year old HP. The Apple rep told me to set up the iPad on the HP to get it running and then back up the phone and pod before moving to the iMac. I had no real issues getting the iPad set up but now I am not able to back up the phone or pod. The iPod does not have anything I fear loosing….so I have been “experimenting” on this device with the suggestions on line,(deleting back up – updating software – restore) but I worry about losing my other two back ups (iPhone & iPad) that last worked.
    Thank you for any help you can provide!

Hello Steph,

What I would do is backup all the of the backup files to a different location and then delete them all. It almost sounds as if people are having the corruption problems with backups when iTunes gets confused between multiple devices such as iPhones, iPads, and iPods or something. Let us know what happens!

Steph Reply:

Hi Alex,
    I wish I could say that this worked….but it did not;-(
    It keeps giving me different errors:
    iTunes could not back up the iPod [name] because 1,2 or 3
    1. the back up was corrupt or not compatible with the iPod
    2. a session could not be started with the iPod
    3. could not be saved to computer
    Number 3 seems to pop up more than the others.

I think I have done just about everything I feel comfortable attempting and it might be time to take it to a professional.

I appreciate your suggestions!

Thanks,
    Steph

Hello Steph,

#3 sounds as if either there is a permissions problem on the folder itself or you are out of disk space. Being out of disk space would also explain why you are getting corrupt backups if the backup process is failing in the middle of completion thus not providing a full backup. I would clear out any old data from the hard drive that you can. If you need to archive any of that data make sure that you back it up to a external hard drive or usb thumb drive.

74. Barnabas says:

I followed all the above steps and am still getting the same message. I am also on Windows 7 with an iphone 4 and itunes 10.4.

Hello Barnabas,

You are sure you deleted all of the backups? You might try also shutting iTunes down, deleting all of the backups, restarting iTunes, and then try backing up the iPhone to iTunes.

75. Troy says:

Same exact error and non of that helps..

Hello Troy,

Sorry for spending time to help others… lol. Don’t see you offering any further suggestions.

76. Caroline hayes says:

I have the same problem with Windows 7 and itunes 10. I have deleted the backup but still get the error message. I cannot backup my ipad either. I don’t get the error message but the backup never completes.

Hello Caroline,

Did iTunes updates solve this problem by now? I was not experiencing this with any of the iTunes versions I have upgraded too however it does appear others have had the same issues. If you have a resolution we would love to hear what it is…

Caroline Hayes Reply:

Dear Alex
    I thought I had replied to you but it seems not. Sorry. I tried everything I could find and eventually sent my computer to an engineer who reinstalled Windows 7. He reinstalled itunes which worked fine until I updated itunes to a new version last night, after which itunes “hung” when I tried to backup either phone or pad. I contacted Apple who gave me detailed instructions on how to uninstall itunes [see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923. The trick is to uninstall each item in exactly the order instructed, otherwise it will not work. As I have 64-bit Windows 7 I then downloaded the 64-bit versiion of itunes and installed it. I could not believe it – it worked!
    Hope it will for you too.
    All the best, Caroline.

77. Dinny says:

I too have the same corrupt message and the same problem, iphone 4 and itunes 10.
    I tried the fix but to no avail still get the same message,would a complete uninstall and reinstall do the trick?

Hello Dinny,

That should do the trick however you would have to make sure it not only uninstalls the app but also the saved data. I would suggest removing any corrupt backups that may be causing the issue but remember to back them up before deleting them from the default backup directory.

78. Alex J says:

Must be a bug in the OS .. same problem here, only just cropped up.
    There aren’t any backups there yet it still complains that they are corrupt!! haha

Hello Alex J,

Did you verify this in the iTunes interface itself or in the backup folder where it stores the backups? If via iTunes then it is likely that the backups exist but are corrupted enough where they are not displaying. The paths below are where the backups can be found on W7 and OSX Lion.

OSX: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Windows7: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Hope that helps..

Gary McD Reply:

Thx fixed my issue!

Hello Gary McD,

Rick J Reply:

Mine is doing the same thing. Deleted all backups as prescribed and still get the same error message. because of this I have music on ipod that won’t sync to computer.

Hello Rick,

You also deleted the backups from the directory and not just through iTunes? If so you might try uninstalling iTunes and then reinstalling it.

79. Nat says:

I have exactly the same problem and it is exasperating me. Religiously backed up iphone 4 with (windows 7 64 bit), iTunes 10.4.1.10. Today, I received an sms during backup (which usually lasted 5-10 seconds always), and i think that corrupted it. Followed suggestions, deleted the one and only backup file so none are now showing at all, and i still get the error message “COULD NOT BACK UP BECAUSE THE BACKUP WAS CORRUPT OR NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE iPHONE”. I have reinstalled itunes. Should I maybe reinstall an earlier version of itunes, will that fix it? I am thinking whether it is worth trying to back up my iphone on the desktop computer, wiping the phone, and starting afresh on here? Or will that mess things up even further? I dont mind 2 hours of hassle, but is there any way I can backup at least my contacts and calendar? At the VERY LEAST!? The Apps I dont mind downloading again should I need to, i just feel like i need to start over again – but what is the best way of doing it? My blood is boiling …..

Hello Nat,

Did you actually look in the backup directory? If not there is likely a corrupt backup in the folder that is not showing up in the backup list through iTunes.

80. Rick J says:

What file extension would I look for and where would it be located? I’m running Windows 7.
    I tried Windows7: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup that you gave earlier, but there is no such address on my computer. I searched for *.MDBACKUP and found no such file on my computer.

81. Emma says:

Just wanted to say thanks, followed your instructions and now my phone has synced fine. Thanks I havent got a clue about computers so this really helped me :)

Hello Emma,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

tess Reply:

I have tried this and there was no back up to delete, what would you suggest?
    I have removed Itunes and reinstalled it, but it is saying the same thing!
    Suggestion?

Hello tess,

Did you look in the folder or are you just not seeing the backup via iTunes? If you have not looked in the folder read back through older comments for suggestions on folder location.

Jessie Reply:

erms… hw do we look up for the backup folder ??

CloudBabyxD Reply:

?? agree with u jessie…

82. Amber says:

Hi, I followed the steps and deleted all backups and hit ok, and tried resyncing my ipod and I’m still having the same issue. Actually, I was originally getting error messages saying that it just couldn’t backup my ipod. Then after I deleted the backups and tried re-syncing, now it’s saying that the backups are corrupt?? Any suggestions? I went back into the preferences and there are no more backups to delete?

Hello Amber,

Read back through previous comments. It is suggested to manually delete other backups after you have backed them up.

83. m says:

i’ve just follow ur step but it didn’t work ! still hav same problem ,,am so serious, plz help. Thx

m Reply:

and i cant find other backups (i use window xp) Could u teach me carefully?

84. Larry says:

I have the same issue. Deleted the old back up. But the same error appears. Now I can’t see any old backup to delete.

Hello Larry,

Read back through the comments and look for the folder that holds other backups. Even though there are not any showing in iTunes they could still exist.

85. Rob says:

Did not work at all. Deleted all iTunes programs and reinstalled and still the same problem

86. Navina says:

Hi Alex,

I have tried everything you have said! I tried deleting back up from iTunes but it doesn’t exist. So i read your previous comments and went to find the Backup from my my C Drive. But it didn’t show up after I clicked on user. So i went to search for it and i found it but the icon AppData was transparent. Nonetheless, I clicked on it and tried to delete the backup but it kept saying that I cannot delete it as it is running elsewhere. But I’ve closed all the windows! I am at my wits end! I am really afraid of losing all my data!

Thanks!

Amelia Reply:

I am having the same issue and now even my ipod touch is having the issue… Can’t since iPhone or Touch. Deleted files and can’t find the files using the string of folders provided for XP. Odd.

George Reply:

Same exact problem. iTunes will says it cannot save file to the computer after sync. However, there is a file in the /backup folder(not itunes under preferences), but cannot delete it or move because it says running in another program. Nothing is open. And, I am just assuming this is the reason that iTunes will save the sync, but it may be something else. I have the newest version of iTunes and have restarted both the iPhone4 and the computer numerous times. I am however, able to backup on my wife’s computer but have not been able to see how that really helps me except I do have one backup there. I cannot upgrade to the 5.0 iOS on my phone unless I can resolve this problem. Thanks.

Hello George,

Make sure you are an admin user and if you have already done that you might Google what processes use the file in question and then attempt to manually kill each process using the Task Manager.

87. stephanie says:

I deleted my old back ups in itunes and that didnt work. I looked for the C;/users……but my only said local not roaming and nothing is in that folder. Is there anything else i can do?

Hello stephanie,

You need to find the location of the backup files and remove them. From there your issue should be resolved.

88. CloudBabyxD says:

I have plug my I-Phone4 into computer to USB, Got to Update Old VERSION to iOS 5.0 then the system sync with my i-phone got a pop up error mesage : iTunes could not take place because the iPhone backup was corrupted.

Hello CloudBabyxD,

Have you tried everything in the article? What about all of the other suggestions listed in the comments? What were the results of attempting each of these things?

89. karen says:

I’m having same issue. I deleted the 2 backup files. Still get same message that backup is corrupted. It won’t sync. Seems since I loaded 5.0 I’m having issues.

Hello Karen,

Did you try to manually delete the backup files without going through the iTunes interface? If you have trouble deleting them manually… unplug your iDevice, reboot your computer, and attempt to manually remove them again.

90. ngoc says:

I don’t see backup file in Itunes (in Edit=> prereference…). I also delete backup file in computer. but the problem is not solved.
    help me, alex.
    thank

Hello ngoc,

Are you sure that you were able to delete any backup files from the backup file directory? I don’t believe you should continue to receive that error if all backups have been deleted. You might try restarting iTunes or rebooting the computer to make sure that iTunes realizes that all of the backup files have been deleted.

91. B3th0r says:

Hi,

I have the same problem after updating my Iphone to IOS 5.

I already deleted my old backup from Itunes and check in the folders.
    Re-install Itune.
    Reboot couple times my laptop and Iphone.

I not able to sync after all.

frank Reply:

I have same preoblem… How did you figure it out?

wasif Reply:

i have the same problem and i looked everywhere to find a solution. can you please help me

92. Dush says:

Hi alex,

Im having the same issue with an iphone4 during sync with itunes. My phone is jailbroken so im afraid that after deleting the backup and after sync will any of the apps be lost.
    would be a great help if u could confirm this

Thanks

Hello Dush,

You can resolve this issue by simply making a backup of the backup before you delete it from the location that iTunes will look for it.

93. samrichard11 says:

In case if your iPhone model could not backup, in that condition you must be sure that something has wrong going on.. May be its a case of corruption or damage that may have occurred unknowingly that causing such issues. in order to repair the corruption, you are needed to take help of iPhone Backup Software that helps you in creating iPhone data backup as well as is also capable of repairing small corruption. This is useful for different iPhone models like iPhone 3GS recovery and so on…

To read more:
    www dot iphone3gsrecovery dot net

94. justin says:

will this delete your files??

95. Somi says:

thanks for the blog, but how we can restore the data if we delete the backup file, this is the only back up I have and have so many important data that are not on the phone ;(((((
    please help

96. Steve says:

Hi Alex

Had the same problem as all iPhones had same name. Followed instructions you gave 3 years ago and deleted previous iphone back ups. Now fully backed up with iPhone
    5. Works a treat. Thanks. Steve