Rooting the HTC Evo 4g – Part 7 (Installing A Custom Kernel)
**This is entering the realm of experimental stuff**
**Make sure you have made a backup of your current rom**
First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
**This will not work unless your phone is rooted and nand is unlocked**
This hack will install a custom built kernel on your evo which will increase the max clock speed from 9.5 MHz to about 1.1 MHz. On a phone this is pretty significant. There are lots of other reasons for this kernel upgrade but the Mhz increase was the main reason for me to include this is my Hacking the Evo Series or articles.
I used the undervolted kernel to help save on battery life.
1. Download the file you want to use
2. Mount your phone as a disk drive
3. Place the .zip file on the root of your sdcard
3. Power off the phone
4. power it back on while holding the volume down key.
5. Once on the bootloader screen select Recovery
6. Next select “update a .zip from sdcard”
7. After the update completes, reboot and enjoy your new rom.
8. Visit the android market place and download the app SetCPU (It costs a few bucks but well worth the money)