First of I would like to say that none of these hacks and files are my own work. This stuff was done by all the amazing phone developers over at XDA Developers. I am am simply writing a few posts on rooting the HTC Evo since most of the information was all spread out over the forums and I had a hard time gathering it all together in a organized manner.
NOTE: Please make sure you have completed parts 1,2 & 3 of this tutorial series before attempting this part.
Even though we have rooted the EVO we have not fully unlocked it all the way. There is still whats known as Nand Protection which has to be removed. This process will allow you to unlock Nand protection on all partitions.
You will need the following files:
1. Power off the phone by holding the power button down and then selecting yes when it asks if you want to power off
2. Turn the phone on , while holding the volume down button until you see the boot loader screen
3. Select recovery, and then select nandroid and follow the steps to create a nandroid back up.
4. Reboot the phone
5. Next mount the phone as a disk drive
6. Unzip the flash_image.zip and the mtd-eng.zip
7. Put the flash_image and mtd-eng.img on the root of your sdcard
8. Unmount the phone and put it in sync mode
9. Change into your adb shell in C:\andriod-sdk-windows\tools
8. Execute the following commands
adb shell cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image chmod 755 /data/flash_image /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
9. Once that finishes, mount the phone again in disk mode
10. Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard
11. Power off the phone and power it back on while holding the down volume key.
12. Once the bootloader comes up it will find and verify the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard. There will be a blue status bar showing its progress
13. Next it will ask you if you wanna flash, select yes
14. Once the flash is finished it will ask you if you want to reboot, select yes
15. Once you boot back into the phone, mount it and place recovery.img on the root of the sdcard
16. Unmount the phone and open a adb shell again
17. Issue the following commands
adb shell cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image chmod 755 /data/flash_image /data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img reboot recovery
18. You should now be in recovery mode
19. Next do a wipe of data and a wipe of the dalvik cache
20. Next go back to Nandroid and run a restore to go back to our previous rom.
21. Reboot the phone and move on to part 5
You now have full write access to every section of the Evo. This will become more useful later on when we do some over/underclocking and make a few hacks to help out with battery life.
*Super special thanks to toastcfh for the steps contained int his tutorial and the original EVO root steps.