Disable Zoom On Dell Touchpad, Modify Dell Touchhpad Settings
I have been fairly impressed with Windows 7 and my new Dell laptop. One of the items that had been getting on my nerves was the fact that I would randomly zoom in or zoom out of various screens I was on specifically when using a web browser. This is done by pinching two fingers together on the Dell touchpad and while I was not doing this on purpose the way I use the touchpad must simulate this pinch an awful lot. Follow the directions below to disable the pinch zoom for your Dell touchpad on a computer running Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
Disable Dell Touchpad Zoom:
- Windows 7 Control Panel: Launch the Windows 7 Control Panel by clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel from the pop up navigation menu as displayed in the below image.
- Windows 7 Hardware & Sound: Once the Control Panel is open click on the “Hardware and Sound” title to display the Windows 7 “Hardware and Sound” Control Panel which is displayed in the below image.
- Open Mouse Properties: Now click Mouse which is underneath the first section titled Devices and Printers. Clicking on Mouse will display the Mouse Properties configuration window which is displayed in the below image.
- Dell Touchpad Properties: Make sure that the Mouse Properties configuration window has the Dell Touchpad tab active and then click in the middle of the touchpad icon to display the Dell Touchpad configuration window as displayed below.
- Touchpad Gestures Settings: Now from the Dell Touchpad configuration window click on the Gestures Settings link in the right column to open the Gestures configuration, which will allow you to enable to disable being able to zoom from the touchpad, as displayed in the below image.
- Disable Dell Touchpad Zoom: Remove the check from the Enable option near the top left of the Gestures configuration window as displayed in the below image. This will disable the zoom functionality from happening when you pinch two fingers together on the Dell Touchpad.
Once you have removed the check from the Enable option click the Apply button in the lower right corner to save the new Dell touchpad settings.
- Verify Touchpad Zoom Disabled: Close all of the remaining configuration windows that are open and test to make sure that the zoom feature has been disabled. This can be done by using two fingers on the touchpad and either spreading them apart or bringing them closer together which if zoom was enabled would either zoom in or out of the current window.
Some keyboard, mousepad, or touchpad shortcuts are great however in the end I want my touchpad to function as a touchpad and not as a keyboard so disabling the zoom on the Dell touchpad has made life much easier for me.