A small business I with has a Lacie 2Big Network NAS device which they use as a place for users personal folders and a company wide share. The Lacie 2Big Network has a lot of features for a little device that I initially though was basically nothing more than an external hard drive. This is not the case though and the Lacie 2Big Network functions as a feature full Network Access Server for small businesses. The software on the device though had been causing lots of problems including not allowing me to configure new users on existing shares, slow file transfers, and automatically logging me out from the web admin interface. The main issue though was the device was basically stuck in its current configuration since I could not add new users to shares. Below I describe the software that was on the device followed by a software update that resolved all of the issues.

Upgrade Lacie 2Big Network To Resolve Issues With Network Shares Configuration:

Initial Software Version: 2.0.7

The Lacie 2Big Network was initially running software revision 2.0.7 which appeared as the most recent software available on the Lacie web site. After further investigation I decided to login to the web site and register the device. Once registered I was pleasantly surprised that there was actually a software update available as displayed in the below image.

Lacie.Com: 2Big Network Firmware Upgrade

As you can see above you can click on the “Download your update now!” link to download the latest are software which is currently system version 2.2.3. Below are the three main issues I had before attempting the upgrade.

Issues With Lacie 2Big Network Software Version 2.0.7:

1. Shares: Unable to display current or add new  Shares via the web administration control panel.
  2. Users: You were able to add users but you could not add the network shares to those users.
  3. Speed: Many users complained of file transfer speeds.
  4. Web Control Panel: The web control panel would randomly log you out. This sometimes was completely random though most of the time if you did not let a page completely load before visiting the next page it would log you out of the web control panel.

Upgrade Lacie 2Big Network To Software Version 2.2.3:

So after downloading the package specified above unpack it and then visit this link. You will first need to unpack the downloaded file and install the new Lacie Network Assistant which is version 1.3. Follow the instructions at the link in the first sentence of this paragraph. This will walk you through upgrading via the Network Assistant. Please note that you must run the Lacie Network Assistant from the same LAN as the Lacie 2Big Network. Upgrading is easy though when the device reboots it is likely that the IP address of the device will change. If that happens don’t worry you can easily configure it back to the correct IP address using the Network Assistant. Below is a view of what the Lacie 2Big Network System Maintenance page looks like using the web control panel.

Lacie 2Big Network: Control Panel System Maintenance

Lacie 2Big Network Issues Resolved:

After the upgrade I started testing the previous issues starting with being able to view the network Shares via the web control panel. Below is an image of the network shares via the upgraded Lacie 2Big Network.

Lacie 2Big Network: List Of Network Shares

The issue beyond displaying Shares was the fact that you could not apply those Shares to users. When you would attempt to display the list of Shares from within user configuration the web control panel would not return anything. Now the shares immediately display without issue as shown below.

2Big Network: Apply Shares To A User

I could not be happier with the upgraded software (2.2.3) released for the Lacie 2Big Network. Lacie actually mentions on their site that the new software version doesn’t fix many bugs but that it does provide a lot of new features. I would have to disagree with this statement since all of our issues were resolved by upgrading. If you have a Lacie 2Big Network or a Lacie 5Big Network I would suggest upgrading the software version as soon as you can.

List Price: $949.00 USD
New From: 0 Out of Stock
Used from: Out of Stock

List Price: $365.99 USD
New From: 0 Out of Stock
Used from: Out of Stock

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
13 Responses to “Lacie 2Big Network NAS Device: Shares Not Displaying In The Admin Interface”
  1. niil says:

nothing of that work for me. lacie software simply does not recognizes upgrade file (witch you can not find in their wabsite anyway). since i bought 2big it brought only problems : (

Hello niil,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. I also remember having trouble finding the upgrade file however after logging into the support site and opening a ticket with Lacie they were able to point me into the right direction to locate the upgrade file so you might want to try opening a Lacie support ticket and requesting the information for the upgrade file. Hope that helps.

akswift Reply:

i have the same problem. updating to 2.2.3 from 2.0.7 simply does not work. since several support tickets have not been answered by lacie support, maybe you have solved the problem and can give me a hint. thanks.

2. Lars says:

Hi guys

I have forgotten my pasword to my lacie 2big network nas server – how can I reeset or delite and start all over with a new config?

Lars

Hello Lars,

Here are instructions from Lacie’s web site.

#####################
    Here is the factory reset process for the 2Big Network, which may solve the problem. The process will not delete any of your data, but it may delete the user and share names. Please make a note of these so that you can recreate them. Once recreated, the original data will be intact.

It is our expectation that the data will still be present and unaffected after the reset but we are unable to guarantee this. For this reason we strongly recommend having a backup of your data elsewhere first.

1. Switch OFF the product. Once OFF, the product’s back power switch MUST be on the OFF position.

2. If the product is in SAFE mode, MOVE the RAID mode switch to the BIG mode. This is needed for the firmware to enable the Reset request. But that will not change the RAID mode unless you go in the RAID admin page and validate the change.

3. PUSH the front button and KEEP IT PRESSED.

4. MOVE the back power switch to the ON position. The front button’s LED will start blinking.

5. Once the front button’s LED stops blinking, RELEASE the front button. Once released, the front button’s LED will start blinking again.

6. When the front button’s LED stops blinking again, PUSH the front button and KEEP IT PRESSED. Once again, the front button’s LED will blink.

7. When the front button’s LED stops blinking, RELEASE it. The product is now restoring itself to its factory defaults.

8. If the product was in SAFE mode before applying this process, MOVE the RAID mode switch back to the SAFE mode.

After having reset the product to its factory defaults, all the shares will seem to disapear. But since they are still present on the harddisk, it is possible to “restore” them.

To do so, you will have to recreate all the shares. But you will have to reuse the exact same name they used when they originally created them.
    ######################

Hope that helps.

3. Nic says:

I think we should all get together with our drives, make a huge bonfire and have a farewell party. It is the worst, most frustrating, slowest piece of hardware/software I’ve ever bought.

I’ve reset my drive like the instructions above, now I can access a ‘recovered_recovered_share2′ but not the actual first ‘share’ where my files are.

Hello Nic,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. These are definitely not the best external hard drives that money can buy. :) Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

4. André Ribeiro says:

Hi, First, Congratulacion for your site.
    I’ have problem in create a new user…
    my version is a 2.1.2…
    have a other possibility to create a new user?

thank

Hello André,

Unfortunately I only had to fix a Lacie HD one time for a client and have not used one since. When you find resolution let us know what it is so others that come searching here will find the answer.

5. Ricardo Ramos - Brasil says:

Hello.
    I have 3 2Big Network 2 4TB.
    Two of them were not functioning well because people removed their drives to use on another device (not from Lacie) and formatted them. Since the operating system resides in the HDDs, it was lost. I was trying to recover them using one of the RAID 1 drives i have on the third device, that is (was) functioning well. I took one health drive from that third device and put into a device i wanted to recover. The device booted up, started rebuilding a RAID 1 ok. It finished well. But when I rebooted de device, it didn’t work. Ok, then I returned de HDD i used to recover it to its original device, powered it on and it started to recover the original RAID 1. It finished ok, but now i can log into it using the web console but i can’t see nor add shares. I can see that my data is there but i can’t access it. Does the reset procedure recover the file structure and my data?
    Can You help me?
    Please!
    Thanks in advance.
    Ricardo – Brasil

Hello Ricardo,

Unfortunately I am not certain about your problem. Were you able to get this resolved? Let us know what the final result was so others that run into this issue will be able to use the solution that you post.

6. Ricardo Ramos - Brasil says:

Hello again.
    I forgot asking You how can I recover the other two devices (2 Big Network 2 4TB) that do not boot, nor can be accessed.
    Thanks
    Ricardo – Brasil

Hello Ricardo,

You might try mounting them under another running hard drive or putting them into a machine with a CDROM where you could boot to a utility CD that has data recovery tools on it. If you were able to already get this resolved let us know what the resolution was so others will find your information useful.