Archive for January 10th, 2010

I recently purchased a new Dell laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit which is the first 64-Bit computer I have ever had as my main computer. I have done some work in the past on computers using 64-Bit operating systems but now that I have one there are a lot of questions coming up regarding how applications launch and specifically what mode they are running in. On Windows 7 64-Bit there are two different “Program Files” directories which allow 64-Bit applications to run as well as 32-Bit applications to run. Below I explain how to verify if a Windows service is running in 32-Bit (x86) mode or 64-Bit (x86_64) mode.
Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »

This is the most annoying error and for some reason I get it all the time when I reboot my Gentoo servers. I have no idea why since I always execute a proper reboot and my times are all synchronized with a time server. Its a small fix and this will be a short article but its so annoying I decided to make a quick post on it.

The problem is that /etc/conf.d and /etc/init.d had no timestamp.

When this happens simply execute this command string as root:

touch /etc/{conf.d,init.d}/*; touch /etc/rc.conf
DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments 2 Comments »

I recently launched my first word press web site and had a friend tell  me that a important security precaution was to change the table prefix of your word press database. The default prefix for the tables is “wp_” which can make it extremely easy for a attacker to run sql injection commands through flaws the they may find in word press. If we can change the name of a table a attacker will have to figure out that information as well thereby adding one more layer of security to our site.  I was getting ready to change all the wp_ prefix’s manually when I discovered a plug in called WP Security Scan which claimed to automate the process.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments 4 Comments »

My Linux distribution of choice is CentOS so that is where I typically spend time. Recently though I have been working for a project that runs on a Gentoo Linux server. So far I really like Gentoo though there are some things that I am used to that are totally different. One minor issues I have had is how vi/vim (vi IMproved) handles text that is pasted into it. Every time I was pasting data into a file I was editing with vi. Initially I thought it must have been some odd formatting coming from the file I was copying the text from however I ruled this out quickly when I pasted into notepad first to remove all formatting and then into vi and sure enough the spaces on the left still existed. Below I explain the issue, provide an image of a shell window showing the issue, and how to resolve the problem.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments 2 Comments »

Working on a friends server earlier this morning I noticed that he had logrotate configured but he did not have a configuration file for Postfix. Below is the quick one I whipped up for his environment including a brief explanation of each line of the configuration file below the script. Following the explanation of the various configurations is the command to actually force logrotate to run in debug mode so you can see what happens.

Read the rest of this entry »

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterFacebookRedditLinkedInEmail
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments No Comments »