iTunes App Store Affiliate Links Using LinkShare Explained
You can resell iTunes App Store items using the LinkShare service. I haven’t had much luck generating links to iPhone applications using any third party applications or using LinkShare’s link building interface either so I imagine others are having issues as well. Below I will explain the links themselves and explain how to build iTunes App Store LinkShare URL’s manually. If you have the base link then you can manually switch out your LinkShare reseller ID and the iTunes App Store product ID to build the links yourself. There are a bunch of other variables built in so I will try to explain what they mean and if they need to be changed.
LinkShare iTunes App Store Example URL’s:
Below are two examples of what your LinkShare links may look like for iTunes App Store applications. Both of the examples below are using my LinkShare ID and the iTunes App Store product ID of RedLaser which is a UPC bar code scanner available for your iPhone.
LinkShare iTunes App Store Example One: EXAMPLE
LinkShare iTunes App Store Example Two: EXAMPLE
Notice that the second URL is much shorter than the first however they are both linking to exactly the same product in the iTunes App Store. When you click on either link it will launch iTunes, go directly to the RedLaser application, and then refresh the page the URL was clicked from. You can test this by clicking the link titled EXAMPLE next to each example’s title above. The reason the two are different is because the first link is using HTML friendly characters for items that may not display properly in HTML. The ones used in the first link are listed below.
LinkShare Link HTML Character Replacements:
- %253A --> :
- %252F --> /
- %253F --> ?
- %253D --> =
- %2526 --> &
Removing these will make the link much shorter and make it much easier to read as well as understand. There are two parts to the link which include the LinkShare variables and then the iTunes variables. These are broken out below and explained to the best of my knowledge.
LinkShare Affiliate URL Variables:
The LinkShare variables are id, offerid, type, subid, tmpid, and RD_PARM1. Each of these variables are listed below with a brief explanation.
- id:This is your LinkShare affliate ID.
- offerid:This can specify various offers via LinkShare. The actual variable will be a number such as 7097.10000034. In that example the 7097 would reference the offer and 10000034 would specify the specific link in the offer.
- type: This is the type of link that has been clicked on such as banner or text. I believe that type 3 is text.
- subid:If there are multiple sites under one LinkShare reseller ID then this variable would specify which one sent the traffic through LinkShare.
- tmpid:I am not exactly sure what the tmpid is but I have not had an issue with keeping it the same. I imagine it is some type of other identifier.
- RD_PARM1:This is the actual variable that specifies the link to the iTunes App Store.
iTunes App Store URL Variables:
The iTunes App Store URL variables are id, mt, and partnerID. The most important variable here to worry about is the id itself which is the id of the application. In our case the application ID is 312720263 for RedLaser. I assume the partnerID is related to LinkShare and mt is some iTunes related variable.
So to manually build your links you can use the second example above and swap out the LinkShare Affiliate ID and the Application ID.