I typically transfer images from my iPhone to my Windows XP computer by clicking on My Computer, clicking on the Apple iPhone icon, and then transferring the images to another folder on the computer. Today I plugged in the iPhone via USB to my Windows XP laptop and I was surprised to see that the iPhone Camera was not showing as a drive after clicking on My Computer. To verify I hadn’t made a configuration change on accident that was causing this to not show up I verified that the computer was not seeing the iPhone’s camera by opening up Control Panel and clicking on Scanners and Cameras.

**UPDATE: The first solution is what worked for me but there have been some comments confirming that the below will not solve everyones issue. Another solution to try is to delete any images you have saved to the Camera Roll from email. It appears in some situations if images are saved from emails that it is causing issues with the digital camera driver and you will be unable to retrieve images from the iPhone if you have saved images you received via email. I attempted to duplicate the issue with emailed gif’s and emailed jpg’s but I was unable to though I am sure this issue exists for others as it has already been confirmed at least twice in the comments below.

iPhone Not Showing Under My Computer:

iPhone Not Showing Under My Computer

Everything else did seem to be working fine with the iPhone’s USB driver on my computer. I was able to charge the iPhone, backup the iPhone, and sync the iPhone to iTunes. I don’t believe the driver had been updated recently though I am not sure that it wasn’t. Below are instructions on how to resolve this issue by removing the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver which is used by the iPhone and letting it reinstall itself.

Reinstall Apple Mobile Device USB Driver:

1. Attach iPhone Via USB:Make sure the iPhone is attached to the computer via the USB cable. Wait to proceed with the steps below until the iPhone has completed backing up and syncing to iTunes.
  2. Open Device Manager: Right click on My Computer and select Properties from the drop down menu. This will open System Properties as shown below. System Properties opens on the General tab so you will need to click on the Hardware tab which is the active tab in the image below.

Windows XP System Properties: Hardware Tab

Click the Device Manager button to open the Device Manager as shown below.

Device Manager USB Devices

3. Remove iPhone USB Driver:As you can see in the above image the iPhone USB drive is actually called Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. We want to remove this driver by expanding the list of USB drivers which can be done by clicking the + next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. This is already done in the image above but I wanted to mention in case you were unfamiliar with the Device Manager. Now right click on Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and select Uninstall from the drop down menu. A confirmation like the one shown in the below image will require you confirm you want to remove the iPhone USB driver.Click the OK button on the pop up confirmation window as shown below which will remove the driver.

Confirm Device Removal: Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

4. Reinstall iPhone Driver:Once the driver has been removed you should unplug the iPhone from the USB cable. To reinstall the iPhone USB driver plug it back into the USB cable and the reinstalling of the driver will start automatically. There will be numerous pop up messages displayed near the system clock in the lower right corner of your Windows XP desktop. Once you see the pop up message confirming that your new device is ready to use everything should be working properly again.
  5. Verify iPhone Camera Detected: Open My Computer now to verify that the iPhone is displayed and you can click on it as you previously were able to do. The below image shows the iPhone Camera icon displaying underneath My Computer.

iPhone Icon Displaying Under My Computer

Another way you can verify the driver is reinstalled properly is to open Device Manager and expand Imaging Devices. You should now see “Apple iPhone” displayed again as shown in the below image.

Device Manager: Imaging Devices - Apple iPhone

You can now go back to transferring images to and from your iPhone.

List Price: $19.99 USD
New From: 0 Out of Stock
Used from: Out of Stock

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
110 Responses to “iPhone Digital Camera Driver Issue, iPhone Not Showing Up Under My Computer”
  1. leon says:

when i go through this procedure, it goes back to the same way. it never shows up as an image device in the last step, it just shows up back in the USB section again. i have been looking at dozens of site recently trying to figure out why it stopped working, but to no avail. any suggestions?

Hello leon,

Do you see it under the Control Panel “Scanners and Cameras” section? Make sure it is plugged in via the USB cable when you search this section via the Control Panel. I assume also that you are using Windows XP?

I haven’t seen this exact behavior but I may be able to assist if you provide as many details as possible.

2. Morb says:

I too am having the same problem. My phone is Jailbroken which I don’t think is a determining factor. The problem seemed to start when I mounted a virtual drive using PowerISO. I have since removed mounted virtual drives and restarted XP and nothing is fixing it.

Removing the usb driver does not make windows show the device. I get the sound that XP is recognizing it plugging in, but cannot access the phone.

Hello Morb,

I have not been able to duplicate the specific issue you are having though my phone is not jailbroken. I do have a jailbroken iPod Touch but since it does not have a camera it is not the same exact thing. Hopefully someone else with a jailbroken iPhone will respond with some tips to help resolve your issue. I think in most cases doing what I explain above will resolve the issue though your problem seems to be more complex.

If you end up fixing it we would love to hear what the resolution is.

3. Morb says:

Well apparently at the moment the iphone is not supporting images from emails. If you save images that have been emailed to you on your phone it creates this bug.

I deleted some images that had been emailed to me (I saved them while checking my mail on my phone, I did not transfer them from my computer).

After deleting these images my PC read my iphone as a camera again. Apparently images not sent via MMS or taken by your phone are not optimized for the iphone like iTunes does when you transfer images over.

Hello Morb,

Very interesting! So we had two separate issues and I guarantee many people are visiting this article with the issue you are seeing. I am going to test this later and will write step by step instructions on how to resolve if I can duplicate it. Very good information! I appreciate you taking the time to respond as this should help many others fix their issue!

Thanks again.

Josh Reply:

I had the same problem. I deleted the files from my camera roll and instantly my PC recognized the iPhone as an imaging device. Thanks for the help insight.

Hello Josh,

No problem. Glad the article helped you out.

4. Vin says:

Thank you, I just had exactly this issue.

Was all working fine earlier, then just now I wanted to copy some photos off, in fact, the ones I’d received in an email and saved.

I couldn’t get the iPhone (3gs) to appear in Computer on my Vista laptop.

I went to device manager and attempted uninstalling the Apple driver, and reconnect.
    Still no iPhone icon in Computer.

Read this thread after Googling…
    deleted the two images I’d saved from the email.

Reconnected to the computer,
    iPhone detected again, and can transfer photos off.

Shame, as I said, I wanted to copy the photos off that I’d received in the email.
    Doesn’t matter, can do it from PC, but a strange bug!

I don’t really want to transfer the photos back via iTunes because it seems to recompress and shrink them, and generally make them look worse.

Guess I’m stuck with that for now.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, it may have taken a while before I realised the saved images from the email were to blame.

Vin.

Hello Vin,

Yeah this is definitely interesting. I am going to update the article Morb’s comments info just in case others don’t read down into the comments for the other possible solution. Thanks for taking the time to leave detailed feedback with the results that helped resolve your issue!

5. Vin says:

btw. don’t forget to make a report on

so that maybe they’ll fix the problem?

Hello Vin,

Also thanks for this. I will be leaving feedback though I doubt we will receive an response anytime soon. The feedback seems to fall on def ears!

6. Vin says:

I know you didn’t have an issue yourself,

Maybe it has something to do with the res, or size of the image?

I sent myself two images via email, and saved them from the mail to the iPhone.
    (and for the record, they looked SOOO much better than after iTunes “optimizes” them, and I could zoom in so well..

Anyway, one image was..

735k @ 1536×2048

and the other one

762k @ 1536×2048

so, hardly massive pics, in fact that would only make them about 2 megapixels, and are actually smaller than the photos that the iPhone (3gs) takes itself!

So, it’s hardly like the iPhone struggles displaying these files, so I’ve no idea why Apple doesn’t allow straight transfer of photos to the iPhone.

still, I’ve gone off topic there a bit, sorry.

My point was.. the issue described above only happened to me after I sent myself these two photos via email, and saved them to the camera roll.

Deleting the images, and the iPhone was detectable in My Computer again.

Strange bug, and a shame.
    If I could send all the photos to myself that way, and retain full quality, and still be able to connect the phone to a PC to get new photos off, then I’d do so. would be even better if we could move photos from the Camera Roll to somewhere else in the phone ;)

I won’t even get started that I SO wish I could just transfer photos in and out via Bluetooth! I’ve not had my iPhone a week yet, and despite being SO impressed with some of it, amazing, some factors, like the totally gimped Bluetooth are just frustrating, and as far as I can tell, pointless!

Oh well! ;)

Hope this saving files from emails preventing phone being detected in My Computer bug gets solved soon! At least then I can send select photos to the phone, and be able to view in full quality, and zoom right in.

Vin.

Hello Vin,

I am pretty sure it deals with the encoding of the images. If you notice when you upload images via iTunes to the iPhone it has to convert them. Also I have a jailbroken iPod Touch and when SSH’ing files from the Touch to my Windows laptop I had to convert the files before I could view them on the laptop because of how they were encoded which must be linux/mac specific or someething. I wrote an article awhile back that describes how to convert them to read in Windows located at the following link >> http://www.question-defense.com/v9c .

Ayway it is definitely a bug that they must have just missed. It seems that they allow windows generated files to be saved to the iPhone without being converted. Hopefully they will fix this sooner rather than later!

Vin Reply:

Hello alex,

Just for interests sake, it doesn’t happen every time for me either.

I noticed yesterday, that I’d mailed myself a small image to use as my background image,
    (I think it was 1024×728, and a tiny file size)

That worked fine. Simply mailed it to myself, collected it in the phone, saved the image, and set as background picture. I can still do transfers from phone to laptop.

However, attempting to move those two photos I mentioned before, always causes me to lose the ability to copy photos off the phone.

So yeah, it doesn’t happen every time, so I can see how they could’ve missed it, but I still hope it’s fixed soon.

I’d much rather have the original files saved in my phone, unmodified by iTunes, because I can zoom in so much better, and retain all the detail.

would be a nice addition if we could save photos from emails, into a specific folder too, rather than just the Camera Roll… but i guess that’s just wishful thinking! ;D

Cheers,
    Vin.

Hello Vin,

No kidding. I noticed to when people first started posting that images from email could be the problem that it was not occuring for me. Anyway at one point it did happen and sure enough when removing it everything started working fine again.

I am sure it has to do with ecoding of the images… meaning if they were saved in a Apple friendly way.

So thanks again for the follow up! Check out our new addition to question-defense.com called Engage by clicking here. That is the initial go at that style community site however I am about to launch a complete upgrade that includes all sorts of cool stuff that gives people points for answering questions, asking questions, voting for answers/questions, etc. Would love to hear your feedback!

7. iMarkyMark says:

Oh my gosh I’ve been searching for a solution to this problem and I’m glad that I’ve found it here. Deleting the images in camera roll I saved from emails have brought my iphone back to life on my pc. Thanks a million for the fix. Will just stick to saving the photos from emails on my PC from now on.

Cheers,
    iMarkyMark

Hello iMarkyMark,

No problem. It seems as though most people with this issue have it because of the images saved from Emails so thanks to Morb for providing more info in the comments. Thanks for leaving feedback.

8. j.c. steve says:

Removed “emailed” photos and it showed back up as “camera” in My Computer. I suuggest people try this before the unistall/reinstall ov driver. Seems like a quick fix!
    Thanks for the info everyone!!
    Oh….I actually had to turn my iPhone off and on again before it registered!

Hello j.c. steve,

I definitely agree that people should look for the images saved to the camera roll from emails first. Reinstalling the driver won’t fix the issue if that is the cause. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

9. Shiv says:

Hi there,

I have a jailbroken 3G running 3.12. I used to use Windows 7 and each time I connected the iPhone, it would allow me the option to tranfer pics.

I have since had to install XP SP3 on a new laptop for testing purposes, and while the iPhone shows perfectly in iTunes (I can push videos, pics, music FROM the comp to the iPhone) it does not show up as an imaging device.

I haven’t saved any pics from emails, have tried the uninstall/reinstall driver step, uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes 9.0.2.25, but to no avail. When I reconnect the iPhone after removing the drivers, I just get 2 pop-ups, one detecting the íPhone,and the other showing me Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, followed by the confirmation that the device is ready to use. I am running NOD32 antivirus, and have tried to stop it, same issue.

What is strange though, since I installed XP, is that iTunes hangs a lot, especially when shutting down, and sometimes when I try to uninstall the Apple Mobile Device USB Support, it hangs as well. I realize it must be a problem with the laptop, but can you help me out as to how I can iron it out.

Appreciate your help! Thanks!

Hello Shiv,

This should work fine. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the iPhone will connect without issue to XP SP3. I have XP SP3 running on my daily laptop which is what I typically sync my iPhone to. Since I cannot currently duplicate this problem the one thing I could recommend is to uninstall any Apple/iPhone software from add/remove programs including any USB drivers you can find related to apple and then attempt to reinstall. It sounds like you have done this or at least close but if you hadn’t tried removing all of the Apple stuff that might be the next thing to try.

One other thing to try would be find another way to get every image off of the iPhone and then see if it will display as an imaging device with no images saved on the device.

Out of curiousity why did you remove Windows 7?

Shiv Reply:

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for the reply.

As per your advice, I tried to uninstall all the Apple stuff, and tried to detect the phone as an imaging device, but it did not work. I then downloaded CCleaner, and removed all unused registry entries, rebooted, and my phone began to show as an imaging device (although weirdly, the Apple Mobile USB Support device had disabled itself, an enable was done, and ok). However, it showed me that there were no photos! I then installed iTunes again, and installed this amazing program called iFunbox, and it allowed me to see all my pics, and copy them to my laptop. After I did this, I deleted all the pics on the iPhone, rebooted, and now it detects as an imaging device each time I connect,and allows me to transfer the pics! :-) Thanks!

I didn’t delete the images before since I had just been to Turkey and had about 650 pics of my trip on my phone, so priority was getting them off the phone, rest to follow! :-)

About me removing Windows, no biggie. I had a laptop running Windows 7 (amazing OS), and then I got another laptop, on which I installed XP since I need to use VMware vSphere Client, and it has some issues with direct installation on Windows 7 (it did, about a month back, since there was a roundabout manner of getting the .Net Framework 3.5 files into the installation), so instead of wasting a lot of time on that, I decided to install XP since I KNOW everything works on XP :-) Looking to install 7 again soon though, was a pleasure to use the iPhone on 7!

Thanks for your help Alex! Cheers

Hello Shiv,

Good deal. Glad the iPhone is being recognized again and also glad you didn’t lose all the images from Turkey!

Also thanks for the info about Windows 7. I have a laptop that should arrive any time now with Windows 7 so it will be fun to see how it performs!

Have a good one.

10. Tonny Y. says:

Thank you so much!!! it finally worked after i tried so many different things i even spoke to a apple technition and he wasnt any help.
    here is what helped:

once again thank u so much

Hello Tonny Y.,

Glad it resolve your issue! Thanks for leaving feedback.

11. ohmpp says:

thanks

ohm

Hello ohmpp,

No problem. I assume your iPhone is now showing again underneath My Computer… Good to hear it.

ks Reply:

Hi mate,

great article, having this exact problem. however when i go to unistall the iphone, ‘device’ at the ‘confirm device removal’ window, i click okay and nothing happens, the okay is indented and the sand timer comes up and it does nothing for ages.
    help!!
    please.

Hello ks,

As you noted before the issue with your iPhone not being seen properly by Windows is more than likely images that have been saved to your camera roll. I hope you were able to work through these issues and sync photos with your Windows computer from your iPhone.

Roguesniper747 Reply:

I have dont all this to try an fix it the phone shows up thats it i get a code 28 for the camera roll.ANyone know how to fix this ?

Hello Roguesniper747,

I have not seen that specific error. I would suggest trying to uninstall the driver, delete all images on the phone, and then see if the driver reinstalls on your computer during the next connection.

Hope that helps.

12. ks says:

awww man, having read previous comments i have the same problem, i.e. saved photos on camera roll.

i normally save images from safari to my camera roll so i can use as background images or just keep good photos i find.

i have 200 of these aforementioned photos, and theres no chance im going to delete them all to get my phone recognised by my computer. :(

hopefully they fix this bug.

thanks for this site and comments posted.

Hello ks,

Did removing the photos from your iPhone resolve the issue or did you decide to just not remove them? Would love to hear the results and what you did to resolve the issue.

13. Syd says:

THIS IS THE ONLY WEBSITE THAT SOLVED MY PROBLEM…… IT WORKED WHEN I DELETED PHOTOS I DOWNLOADED FROM WEB AND FROM EMAIL…
    THANKS FOR YOU…………
    SYD

Hello Syd,

No problem. That is great to hear! Yeah it was more than likely a size or format of images that the camera roll couldn’t process properly for some reason. I am surprised that this has been a bug so long for the iPhone OS, Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. We hope you will visit our site again in the future.

Syd Reply:

No prob… anytime…
    I also retweeted your post, as yet i is a recurring issue and every time it is a new problem…
    Thanks;
    Syd

Hello Syd,

Thanks a bunch.

If you have any other technical questions or want to look at answering other peoples questions we have recently launched a new portion of our site called Engage. It allows users to sign in and ask or answer any types of technical questions.

Thanks again.

14. Arin says:

I’ve tried both these suggestions and still cannot get it to work. iTunes syncs with my phone but I can’t see it in my computer. In device manager I have the yellow exclamation point code 10 for the digital still camera driver. Has anyone seen this problem and fixed it?

Hello Arin,

Sorry to hear you are having issues. What operating system are you using? What version iPhone do you have? What firmware is it running? Also what version of iTunes is installed?

I would recommend completely removing the iphone device drivers from your computer. Then make sure that you have the latest iTunes and other Apple software installed before plugging the iPhone back into the USB port. You may also try a different USB port. I have seen in the past where one USB port will work but the other won’t. If all of this fails answer the questions above and it may trigger more suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Arin Reply:

Hi Alex,

I have the 32g 3GS running 3.1.2 with iTunes 9.0.3.15.

I have Vista on my laptop.

I just tried a different USB slot and still no success. It installs the Apple Device Manager fine but the Digital Still Camera does not install successfully.

If I can’t get it to work I’ll just email them to myself like I did before I deleted everything to try this solution until I can fix it.

Thanks for all your help!

Hello Arin,

I only have a Windows 7 computer right in front of my and when I watch Device Manager and plug in the iPhone via USB it only shows the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver. I don’t mean to run in circles here but you have actually right clicked on that in Device Manager and selected “uninstall” from the drop down menu? I did at one point have a similar issue which wasn’t either of the items noted in this article where I had to forcefully uninstall the iPhone device driver and reinstall every piece of apple software and it did resolve my problem. The only thing I can’t say for sure is if I was getting “code 10″ or not…

Anyhow without being able to reproduce I don’t think i am going to be a lot of help specifically since I don’t have Vista right in front of me either. I would love to hear what does resolve the issue though.

Good luck…

Arin Reply:

Hi Alex,

I have fixed the problem. I had my husband bring home his laptop and I compared our drivers. We have identical laptops. I noticed that under his Portable Devices (in Device Manager) his iPhone was listed as Apple iPhone where mine said Digital Still Camera. I compared our drivers and saw that mine had something listed about LibUSB-win32 something. I also found that in my program files. I uninstalled the LibUSB, plugged up my iPhone and instantly it installed the correct driver.

I have no idea where this other file came from but at least now it works!

Hello Arin,

You are the best. Thanks so much for posting a follow up as not only was I curious what the issue was but I am guessing that someone else will run into the same problem and now if they end up on Question Defense they will be able to locate the answer in the comments.

So LibUSB-Win32 is a port of libusb to the Windows operating system and libusb is an open source application initially developed for Linux I believe but the native libusb now works across Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, MacOS X, and of course Windows with LibUSB-Win32. The goal of the project is to make any USB device work across any operating system without issue. It is a really great idea and hopefully the development continues to advance however as we can see in your case it had the opposite effect.

Anyhow thanks again Arin. I am really glad you got your iPhone camera working with your Windows computer. .

15. vihann says:

Thank you very much! Once i deleted all the photo’s i copied from the web it worked!

Hello vihann,

No problen at all. I am really glad to hear that you were able to see your iPhone properly from Windows after removing the images copied from the Internet. I assume the issue must be that the Windows iPhone driver must freak out because the image format is different than the format that the iPhone itself takes the images in and thus different than what the iPhone driver is expecting. We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback.

16. RAWOLFE says:

Thank you SOOOO much for posting this. I was skeptical that it could be the pictures in the camera roll, but after trying ALL other fixes and after 5 hours of working on it, I turned to this as a last resort. Low and behold, it WORKS! Thank you so much! :)

Hello RAWOLFE,

No problem at all. My initial problem was resolved by reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device Driver however others continued to respond saying that did not resolve their issue. Eventually a user by the name of Morb posted a response stating that he had removed images from the camera roll and this resolved his issue. At first I assumed it was a unique issue but after a couple weeks I had saved some images from email onto my iPhone so I could edit them quickly and send them back to someone. Sure enough a day later I was charging my iPhone and the iPhone no longer displayed underneath My Computer. I removed the images I had saved from email onto the iPhone Camera Roll and the iPhone device started showing again underneath My Computer. After looking at some articles I had written previously, including this article about opening iPhone PNG images in Windows, I am pretty sure the issue is related to the images not being converted properly and Windows or the iPhone discovering this as some other type of error when attempting to display the iPhone as a drive underneath Windows. Anyhow probably more information that you needed or wanted but I thought I would share for anyone else that is interested.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave feedback and letting others know that the images saved from email, MMS messages, or other web sites on the Internet onto the iPhone Camera Roll can definitely be the problem.

17. ron says:

thanks a lot. mine worked and my problem solved !!!

Hello ron,

Good to hear! We are always glad to hear when articles we have posted, which in this case relates to the iPhone digital camera drivers, help resolve issues! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback.

18. Rahil says:

Hey…

Even I had the same problem with my iPhone 3g 3.1.2. I uded to install many applications through appstore and cydia. And suddenly My phone could not get detected on my PC. I was so worried and started searchin on google everywhere…And thank God I found you….I’d tried everything before uninstalling and installing the driver, the same with iTunes and what not….nut your trick worked…

I deleted all the downloaded pics from the sites and safari…and finally it got appeared on my PC…I thank you very much….I’m leaving comment very first time in my life on any site…but I think you deserve much more than this….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[I wanna share one thing as well which I faced....if your iPhone does not get detected by itunes...please try on some another computer right away rather than getting panic or trying messing up with an iPhone...I'm sure it's almost USB probs of different computeres...]

Thanks!

Rahil

Hello Rahil,

No problem at all. Glad you were able to get your iPhone to appear on your computer. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and provide information that could be helpful to others.

19. John in Houston says:

March 12 – Finally working again thanks to this forum!

I emailed a pile of pics from my iphone to myself and deleted as I went – until I must have gotten the offending pic off the phone. Tried unplugging after each batch, and VOILA the Camera and Scanner Wizard started working after one batch. Not sure if it was the video or a pic that upset the wizard.

No restarts, no driver tinkering required, no iTunes settings changed – just removing the offending file. THANKS EVERYONE for sharing!

Hello John in Houston,

Great to hear. Glad you were able to get your iPhone recognized underneath My Computer. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

20. aaron says:

iPhone 3GS through XP would not show up in My Computer, no auto-start on plug-in of the phone, but it would show up in iTunes. Had to delete all photos from Photo Album on iPhone that were saved to the phone from e-mail. Un-plugged, then plugged back in, and phone immediately showed up in My Computer and the auto-start launched.

This is clearly a software problem that AAPL has not (yet?) handled gracefully.

Hello aaron,

Thanks for taking the time to post feedback. I imagine its probably a complicated problem and may have some politics of some sort involved. I guess they are using a set of specific image types and either haven’t built in support for other image types because of time, space, display or something or they are aware of the problem and there is licensing or other outside influences of why they have not resolved the issue. Your guess is as good as mine though. Will definitely be interesting if full support is available in the future.

21. Justinho says:

Hi,

I’ve got the 3gs and until a few weeks ago I could get to the pictures folder from both XP and Ubuntu. I can’t figure out what changed but now I can’t get to the pictures from either OS or other computers running both. So, I’m assuming the problem is with the phone. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Driver in XP as you explain, but that hasn’t worked. I went back to the camera roll and deleted all pictures that I had saved since the last time I copied pictures off the phone to the computer (mid Feb). Still no luck.

I found a program called “iphone photo” which seems to access the photos in the camera roll, but to copy them off the phone I have to buy it. I’ll do that if I can’t find another way. I’ve also thought maybe I can plug it into a friend’s mac and see if that works.
    Thanks for your help, I really hope I can get this fixed. We just got home from a trip to Hawaii and I can’t get the pictures off the phone. :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Hello Justinho,

I would suggest that first you try removing all of the images from the camera roll since that is a known solution based on images saved to the camera roll from something other than the camera. I have never used iPhone Photo so I can’t offer any suggestions there.

Hopefully removing all of the images resolves the issue.

22. SimonG says:

I know it has been mentioned elsewhere but it’s worth repeating as this worked for me.

Go through the Camera Roll folder on your phone and delete any photos you did not take, i.e. all photos saved from emails.

Once you have done this your phone will be recognised once again as a camera in My Computer.

At last! Phew! :-)

Hello SimonG,

No problem mentioning it again in case anyone reading the article misses it. After initially writing the article I did update it to include the information above as well. It appears lots of people are having this issue and the majority of the users with the issue have it from images saved from email, etc. Regardless thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

23. Amiee says:

I followed what was said but I still can’t find my iPhone 3G in My Computer. I haven’t saved any images from emails or anything. All the photos I have are from the iPhone camera only. I really can’t understand what is going wrong. It recognizes it in iTunes as it can sync my music and videos and so on but I can’t seem to find it in My Computer.

Hello Amiee,

Even though you are not aware of any images saved from email or sent via MMS I would still suggest that you first backup your camera roll and all images on your iPhone for that matter and then remove them all from the phone. I am fairly confident that this will resolve your issue.

What is your current version of iTunes? Has the phone ever displayed in My Computer? Regardless I would backup all images first and then remove them all from the iPhone. You might also try upgrading iTunes which in turn will upgrade the drivers on your computer that talk to the iPhone when you plug it in.

If you were able to resolve the issue we would love to hear what did the trick. Hopefully that type of information will make it easier for the next person to troubleshoot.

24. James-the-Cat says:

Its so annoying, I plug my iPhone into my computer, and it pops up, but it goes to camara options and thats all, i want to see the files in the iPhone, like music etc, but it comes up as “Digital Camara” and only 3 options after that: open with photo editor, open with printer, open with word. I want to see the files. please let me know how i can fix this.

Hello James-the-Cat,

This is by design. If you want access/control of your iPhone like that you will need to Jailbreak it.

Hope that helps.

25. KK says:

I got the same problem, can’t find iPhone drive under my computer. I worked out your first soultion and it works. Thanks a lot.

Hello KK,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

26. Steven says:

I tried them all. The only thing that worked was to delete a lot of my pics. What I don’t understand is, I have taken many pics from emails that I have got and many many pics from mms ( my wife is addicted to iphone) and I have been able to connect before. This just happened out of the blue. iPhone is pissing my off lately. But thanks for all the help.

Hello Steven,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I believe what probably happened in your case was it could have been a single picture causing the issue. It is not that images saved from the web or MMS all cause issues but instead probably only certain image formats and/or sizes or even possibly combinations of the two. So chances are that somewhere after the last time you synced to a computer an image that caused an issue was saved to the camera roll.

27. ish says:

I am also having a problem with getting my pictures off of my iphone but instead of my computer not being able to detect my iphone it tells me that my camera is still in use and does not allow me to do anything with it!!! any suggestions????

Hello ish,

Turn the iPhone completely off, let it sit completely powered off for over a minute, power it back on without launching any applications after its powered on, and then try to connect it to the computer. It sounds like the Camera is somehow stuck running in the background even though technically this should not be possible.

28. M says:

I am finally successful. I had the same issue as ish above… I modified the driver but then I could not get anything out of the phone. So I started Picassa when the driver is loaded. Picassa was able to read most of the pictures and then came up with some error that it cannot read or file may be too big… so i imported whatever that I was able to before the error popped. I deleted some of the pictues where the import failed and then kept deleting the files that I have already imported from the phone. I had one video that was too long and Picassa kept breaking there. If you guys have something similar delete that and see if you can get the rest. I dont want to delete this video, so I am still stuck. I have most of the pictures in my computer now but because of thsi one video cannot get the rest. This is like a fifo, so i cannot tell picassa to read the others before coming to this… I am working on finding a solution.

Talk about convenience for the user. I am pissed at Apple. Their arrogance is driving me to other products in the future. I am a tech savvy person and it is hard for me to get the damn pics from the phone and i know most of the other people have the same issue. I think there might be some licensing issues that might prohibit them from doing this. But what a disaster, they cannot provide these information on their website? Anyway, good luck guys.

Hello M,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed entry regarding your experience. We hope you were able to obtain every file that you needed to. It would be nice if there were detailed instructions of such things on Apple’s web site.

29. M says:

Got a few more tips… If you have a large video, trim it using the iphone trim feature… and split it into multiple sizes and save them as a new clip. When you save it as a new clip, it gets saved at the end of the stupid camera roll… then delete the large video, this will make sure you can get all the other pictures. Picassa will still fail when it comes to the last video, break it into multiple pieces and then copy it.

This works but cannot understand why apple will create a stupid camera roll in this digital age. And you cannot copy from the camera roll and put it into a folder or something… whatever

hope you all got your files…

Hello M,

Thanks again. The tip of splitting the video into multiple new clips is a great idea. We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback.

30. Daniel says:

Hi all!

My iPhone used to show up in Windows XP as a camera. After my iPhone 3G (with jailbroken OS 3.1.2) crash completely for unkown reason I had to re-install the OS. I installed OS 3.1.3. – but it was not shown as a camera anymore (in iTunes it works fine). I jailbroke OS 3.1.3 with spirit- still no camera (iTunes and iFunbox are fine)…

I tried this suggestion here, but I cannot get it to re-appear as a camera. Any further idea?

Actually, what I want to do is to my iPhone outside of a special software in order to runfile-recover software (such as GetDataBack or Recover4all) on it (to get my lost pictures back). Is this a hopeless efford? Or an alternative approach to this issue?

Thank you for any hints, best wishes,
    Daniel

Hello Daniel,

I have never used recover file software how you are stating above. Typically the issue you are describing is fixed by removing all of the pictures from the phone because it usually becomes corrupted or unreadable by the driver when photos are saved from web sites or email that are not in the proper Apple format. I would suggest listing exactly what you have tried since there are 10 or so suggestions in the comments of this article and maybe someone can provide a suggestion.

31. stefanie says:

i am having the same problem my iphone isnt showing up on MY COMPUTER anymore and i cant seem to get none of my pictures out of my phone into my computer

Hello stefanie,

There are solutions in the article as well as feedback in the 77 comments that have been posted.

Casey Reply:

I’m having the same issue but when I plug my phone back in the same faulty drivers get installed. Do you know where I could locate the correct drivers and install them manually?

Hello Casey,

Make sure your iTunes and Apple Mobile Device applications are updated. Those drivers are included with those packages. If you still have issues then try a different USB port to see if that makes a difference.

Casey Reply:

Completely removed and uninstall-ed Itunes, Quicktime, Appple Mobile Device, the Apple USB support, Bonjur. Verified after restart that NO Apple services or mobile devices are running before I re-installed iTunes. again my iphone fails to install and shows up in the “other devices” in my device manager with a yellow yield triangle for trouble shooting. also Bluetooth Peripheral Device comes up with error triangle as well. I was told installing Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 has the updated driver for the bluetooth but recieve an error message when I try to install/upgrade saying at least one or more windows components required are missing

Hello Casey,

Have you tried a different USB port and/or a different USB cable? I also commented on the questions regarding the Mobile Device Center on the other article I wrote.

32. Earl says:

I am having the same problem with my iphone not showing up in my computer folder anymore. If I connect to my computer at work, the phone shows up in my computer but not on my personal computer at home. The phone was showing up in the imaging device tab, but not in the my computer folder. I tried the solution above and uninstalled the apple mobile device USB driver. Now it does not show up anywhere. Next I deleted all my photos that I received via email or mms and that didn’t help. I then deleted all photos and that didn’t help either. I also tried different usb ports on my hub, then connected directly to the computer’s port and still it doesn’t recognize the phone. I can sync with itunes with no problem.

Hello Earl,

After you removed all photos you might try reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device drivers again to see if the device is now showing up. It sounds like you have tried all of the easy resolutions that I have heard of though besides trying the latest Apple Mobile Device drivers. Once you do get this figured out it would be great if you could post the resolution here since it sounds like it will be a new solution. This will help others in the future that may run into the same problem.

Good luck and thanks.

33. Earl says:

I did uninstall and reinstall the Apple Mobile Devicve drivers and still the same result. I finally just took my phone to work and plugged it in there and it popped up in My Computer. I can transferr the photos to the desktop and then email them to myself. Kind of a pain but it will have to do until I figure out what’s wrong with my home computer.

Hello Earl,

Is it exactly the same operating system? Glad to hear you got it working at the job.

34. Dan says:

Deleted the 4 photo’s I had downloaded from e-mails and my PC shows the iPhone 3gs as a drive again and the Camera and Scanners wizard works again. The weird thing is I have had those photos and transferred them to my PC before this but just did not delete from my camera roll. Very strange but thanks for the heads up!!

Hello Dan,

I believe it is only specific types of images that cause this problem. So in the past maybe you had downloaded a specific GIF or JPEG type of image however this time one of those four images was a different type of image with different encoding and that caused your issue. Regardless thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and glad to hear you got the issue resolved!

Ali Reply:

this worked for me 2 . the other strange thing is that i when i opened the iphone on my computer to see the pics, one the pics that i deleted from the camera roll is still appearing there and i can open it and see it

35. Paul J says:

Hi, i’ve a iphone 3gs 16GB, 850-1800mhz. my i phone not works at 900mhz coverage. It works smoothly under 1800mhz network coverage. Now what can i do. I’m using this iphone in Bangladesh.

Hello Paul J,

Not sure what prompted you to ask this question in the comments section of this article since it has nothing to do with the article itself. I would suggest asking your question on Engage as it is more likely to get a response there.

36. Jay says:

Hi I don’t see my apple mobile Under Universal serial Bus Controllre’s I have uninstalled and re-installed the itunes but nothing helps… I have trying to get this fixed almost a month…. Please help…

Hello Jay,

What happens when you plug your iPhone into the USB port? Does it charge? Does it display under My Computer? Do you receive any errors? I would also maybe try plugging in to a different USB port on the computer.

37. drex says:

Same here im having problem with my iphone cant also find my saved pictures on my camera roll before it was there but suddenly that i neede to put pictures that recently shot it was not showing under “my computer”

Hello drex,

Not sure I completely understand what you are saying. Did the article solve your problem or do you still have a problem?

38. Brynn says:

Thanks. this worked for me! was so simple and until now i’ve wasted hours trying to get it working through iTunes etc.

Hello Brynn,

No problem. Glad we were able to help. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

39. Billy says:

hi, i solve mine using your method. Del off all mms/pictures saved from emails…reinstall and it works! Thankfully!
    I guess this is a stupid iphone 4 bug…

Hello Billy,

No problem. Glad to hear our article helped you find a solution! Thanks for taking the time to post feedback.

40. Lewis says:

Mine keeps popping-up as “Digital Still Camera” whenever I plug it in – even when I uninstall the drivers, re-install itunes etc. Windows refuses to believe my iPhone 4 is NOT a digital still camera. How the hell can i win?

Hello Lewis,

I would first try reinstalling iTunes. Do you have an older computer with possible USB 1.X ports? Any Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, Touch, etc. require USB 2.0+ ports. If none of that works you might investigate to see if you have any other programs interfering.

Hope that helps.

41. Lisa says:

Hi,

i tried your solutions in the article above, and now i can see the iphone under My Computer and the Autoplay window pops up when i plug my phone (none of this was happening before even though itunes was detecting my phone alright) but when i click on the iphone icon in My Computer all folders inside are empty, even though i have about 1500 pictures in my Camera Roll! tried going in through the device manager as well but i have the same problem there too.

Can you help?

Hello Lisa,

You might try to modify the folder permissions on your computer. You could try things like show hidden files/folders and the other settings for folders to see if that makes a difference. If not I am not sure there are many other suggestions we could provide unless you have a specific error.

One other thing is you might try removing any images that have been downloaded from web sites or via email to see if that makes a difference. If that doesn’t work I would try backing up the images any way you can and then removing every image from the camera roll to see if that resolves the issue.

42. Farrin says:

I followed these steps and when when I plug the phone back in it says on the digital still camera that there was an error and the driver is invalid :(

Hello Farrin,

Did you try uninstalling the driver, rebooting the computer, and then reinstalling the driver?

43. Farrin says:

Yes I did, still did not work, I wound up having to wipe my hard drive, reinstall windows and other drivers for my laptop and only then did it work :)

Hello Farrin,

Bummer. Thanks for taking the time to respond with the steps you had to take to resolve the issue.

44. Janene says:

Alex,
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
    My computer was recognizing my phone as a scanner and I haven’t been able to get photos off of it for month unless I emailed them to myself – huge pain in the….
    This took care of the problem. I appreciate that you took time to explain the process.
    Thanks a million!!

45. Aids says:

thanks man! works for me

Hello Aids,

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.