Awhile back I upgraded Internet Explorer and ever since the upgrade the start menu icon is showing as a generic default icon. I finally looked into what the issue was tonight and first thought that Windows has released a fix for the issue which you would just need to run an installer and it would resolve the issue. That ended up not fixing my problem however by editing the registry via regedit you can resolve the problem after a reboot. Follow the directions below to fix the Internet Explorer icon in your start menu.
IE Start Menu Icon:
- Launch Regedit: Click the start button and select “Run” from the menu. Once the “run” box is open type “regedit” and click enter to launch the Windows Registry Editor.
- Navigate to IEXPLORE.EXE: In the Registry Editor expand the tree menu to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE .
- Modify LocalizedString: Double click on LocalizedString which will have a value similar to “@C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.mui,-7″. This value should be modified to “@C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-32528″. After modifying this close the Registry Editor.
- Reboot Computer: Now reboot your computer for the changes to take.
- Verify IE Start Menu Icon: Once your computer is done rebooting verify the IE icon shows in the Start Menu.
Make sure to not modify any other settings via the Registry Editor as you can cause issues if you modify a setting incorrectly.