Import FileZilla Sites From the Site Configuration File On Windows XP or Windows Vista
I recently had a laptop hard drive crash and needed to try and recover numerous items including a bunch of FTP sites I had configured for the FileZilla FTP client. The first task was locating the site configuration file on my Windows XP laptop and then understanding how to import the sites to another computer. The site configuration file is named sitemanager.xml and below is the location of this file on Windows XP and on Windows Vista.
FileZilla Site Configuration File Location:
Windows XP:C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\FileZilla\sitemanager.xml
Windows Vista: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\FileZilla\sitemanager.xml
Once you are able to locate the sitemanager.xml file importing it onto another computer is easy. Follow the steps below to import FileZilla sites from one computer to another.
- Obtain Site Configuration File:First use the locations above and retrieve the sitemanager.xml file from the computer that has the sites configured.
- Copy Site Configuration File:Now copy the sitemanager.xml file to the computer that has the FileZilla installation you want to import the sites into.
- Launch FileZilla:Double click the FileZilla shortcut to launch the application.
- FileZilla Import: Click on File in the top navigation menu and select Import from the drop down menu.
- Import Site Configuration Data:Once import has been launched it will open up an explorer window to locate the file you want to import. Navigate to the file that was copied to the computer in step 2. Once you click on the sitemanager.xml file a window will pop up confirming that you are importing site data as shown below in the image.
- Verify FileZilla Site Data: Now open the FileZilla Site Manager to verify the site data has been imported correctly. Click on File in the top navigation and select “Site Manager” from the drop down. All of the sites from the other computer should now be listed in the Site Manager.
It is important to try to backup configuration files like this file that has FileZilla site configuration data on a regular basis just in case you run into a hard drive that goes bad. Even if these files are backed up once a month you can save a lot of hassle of trying to obtain all of the data again.