Upgrading walmgr.py is easy since really this is just a python script. The most complicated part of the upgrade process will be keeping your database cluster up. Follow the below steps and you should avoid any downtime.
- Download Latest SkyTools: Visit PgFoundry to download the latest SkyTools. Issue the below command from /usr/local/src on each server.
- Unpack SkyTools: Now issue the below command to unpack SkyTools and then change directory into the newly created SkyTools directory.
tar -zxvf skytools-2.1.9.tar.gz cd skytools-2.1.9
- Boot Slave PSQL Server: Now boot the slave postgresql server by issuing the below command as the postgres user to remove it from recovery mode.
walmgr.py slave.ini boot
- Replace Old walmgr.py: Now replace the old walmgr.py file with the new one located in skytools-2.1.9/python. The old walmgr.py file is more than likely in /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin.
cp /usr/local/src/skytools-2.1.9/python/walmgr.py /usr/local/bin/
- Upgrade Master PostgreSQL Server: Stop the sync daemon on the master psql server. Now replace the walmgr.py file the same way it was done in step 4.
- Follow walmgr Quick Start Guide: Now follow the walmgr quick start guide located here to bring the slave back online.
This will take some time but should allow you to upgrade without any downtime.