Removing a contact from your LinkedIn connections is easy as long as you can find the link. It took me a couple minutes to see it but once I did I wondered how I didn’t see it quicker. Anyhow I wanted to post how to do this to hopefully save someone else a little bit of time. I normally would not care about deleting a contact however a business colleagues friend who requested me as a friend and I accepted continues to send me messages about doing business even though I have politely declined and emails with webinar requests. If you work in the technology field you are very familiar with the type of guy I am talking about that is the pushy sales guy type that typically doesn’t even know anything about technology!

Follow the instructions below to remove a contact from LinkedIn.

1. Login to LinkedIn:Go to www.linkedin.com and login.
  2. Open Connections:Click the Contacts link in the elft menu. This will open the list of your connections which will look like the below.

LinkedIn Connections List

3. Open Remove Connections: Now click the “Remove Connections” link which is located in the top right of the connections window. This will open the remove connections page as shown below.

LinkedIn Remove Connections

4. Remove Connection: Now click the check box next to the connection or connections you want to remove and click the “Remove Connections” button on the right side of the window. Upon clicking this button it will pop up a delete confirmation window as shown below.

LinkedIn Delete Contact Confirmation

Click the “Yes Remove Them” button to confirm and then you will be redirected back to the Connections window as shown below. There will be a message at the top of the window that confirms the contact removal was successful.

LinkedIn Remove Contact Confirmation

Your contact or contacts has now been removed from your LinkedIn profile. No more annoying sales guy messages!

Tags: , , , , ,
26 Responses to “How to Remove a Contact from Your LinkedIn Connections”
  1. mashi-chan says:

Oi! CONTACTS not CONNECTIONS.
    They are DIFFERENT!
    Seems like everybody answering this question doesn’t use LinkedIn.

Actually on linked in its as I stated above. Once you click on Contacts then you must click Remove Connections in the top right of the configuration window. Maybe if you walked through the steps you would see that step by step the wording is proper.

Regardless thanks for visting the site.

2. elsa says:

Thanks! This was very helpful, as I spent a few minutes trying to figure this out on my own and couldn’t find the Remove Contact link in the corner!

Hello elsa,

I know! I struggled as well and figured that if it took me a bit to figure out that writing this article may help others find a solution quicker. Glad it helped you out!

3. me says:

Hi Alex,

After deleting a contact from the list, will he still be able to see my connections ?

Hello me,

It will depend on your settings. Log into LinkedIn.com and click Settings in the top right corner. Look in the right column for Connections Browse which is where you will modify these settings.

4. me says:

Thanks for your quick reply, it helped me a lot! :) Have a nice day!

Hello me,

No problem. Thanks for visiting question-defense.com.

5. nikc says:

if a connection is removed, does it goes as news on linkedin regular updates (messages).

Hello nikc,

I have never seen a deleted contact in a update email message. I also think that this would not be good practice by LinkedIn. So I am 95% sure that the deleted contact would not show up. The only reason I am not 100% sure is I have not seen in writing from LinkedIn that this is the case.

Hope that helps.

V Reply:

Found this on LinkedIn:

“Note: These connections will not be notified that they have been removed. They will be added to your list of contacts in case you want to reinvite them later.”

Hello V,

Great! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I thought this was the case but it is nice to have it confirmed from LinkedIn.com.

6. Gijs says:

Removing a LinkedIn connection is rather easy. Anyone knows how to change the degree of a LinkedIn connection? Let’s say you met your new girlfriend (3rd degree contact) on LinkedIn and after your second date, you decide that she really needs to be a 1st degree contact. How do you do that?

Hello Gijs,

When people are in your contact list they are 1st degree contacts. When someone is a 2nd degree contact it is because they are in the contact list of someone who is in your contact list but not in your contact list directly. A third degree contact would be someone who is the the contact list of one of your second degree contacts. So the only real option is out of your control unless you add someone to your personal contact list and they become a first degree LinkedIn contact.

7. deal says:

so the removed connection will not know they were removed at all?

Hello deal,

They will not know they were removed from your linkedin contacts unless they view your contacts which you would have to provide access to the public to view. Hope that helps.

8. deal says:

what if they look at their own connections, the connection to me will not show up anymore, right?

Hello deal,

I don’t believe it will display any longer. If you verify please let us know in the comments of this article and then I can update the main article.

9. deal says:

i tested this with my brother. it doesn’t notify, but i also turned off any update notification and sharing of contacts in my profile settings. if they look, they will see that they are now a 2 degree connection.

Hello deal,

Great. Thanks for the information! I am sure others will find this helpful.

10. gey says:

scusate, ma che lingua state usando per comunicare ? non si capisce niente

Ciao Gey,

Ci dispiace che la pensi così. Il sito è stato creato in lingua inglese e tradotta automaticamente a 15 o giù di altre lingue e include articoli scritti gratuitamente per aiutare gli altri con problemi tecnici. Grazie per lail vostro opinione .

Grazie.

11. BobC says:

Thank-you for this instruction and for thinking of others. Nicely done. You solved my problem right away. Like you, I just couldn’t see the Remove Contact link.

Hello BobC,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

12. Rosalia says: