Permission denied (publickey). fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
You will receive the below dialogue if the SSH key for the server you are connecting from is configured incorrectly or does not exist at all.
- [web@server git-temp]$ git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:user/project.git
- Initialized empty Git repository in /home/web/gittemp/.git/
- Permission denied (publickey).
- fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
- fetch-pack from 'email@example.com:user/project.git' failed.
- [web@server git-temp]$
So configure a public SSH key on your server and then import it into github by following the instructions here.