Upgrade a Linksys WRT54G Version 5 Wireless Router Firmware
Upgrading a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router is a bit more complicated than most of the other Linksys WRT54G wireless routers. It is not as easy as downloading a dd-wrt .bin file and uploading it via the router administration GUI. Instead you must first install some other bin files to wipe the wireless router clean and then install the dd-wrt software.
Follow these instructions and your wireless router will be running dd-wrt software in no time.
- Create Download Folder: You will need to download a couple files so to start things off create a folder on your desktop or in your favorite location for the files we will need to download.
- Download Prep Firmware:You will need to first download the vxworks prep firmware here and extract the downloaded file.
- Download GS Killer Firmware:Download the vxworks GS killer firmware here and extract the downloaded file.
- Download DD-WRT Firmware:Now download the final version of firmware you will be installing on your wireless router from dd-wrt located here. Then extract the file contents in the folder you made in step one.
- Download Linksys TFTP: Download the Linksys TFTP application here.
- Install vxworks Prep Firmware: Login to your wireless routers web interface which is located at http://192.168.1.1if you still have the default location. Once logged in click on Administration followed by clicking Firmware Upgrade. Now click on the Upgrade button and browse to the location of the vxworks_prep_v03.bin file which was extracted from the first file you downloaded today. After a bit of time your browser will go blank, after this wait 90 seconds, and then power cycle your Linksys wireless router.
- Install vxworks Killer Firmware: Now visit http://192.168.1.1in your browser where you will see a Management Mode firmware upgrade screen. Now browse and select the vxworks_killer_g_v06.bin file which was extracted from the second file you downloaded. Click the Apply button and wait for the browser to display Success.
- Reboot Linksys Router:Unplug the Linksys wireless router, wait 30 seconds, and then plug the router back in. If successful the Power LED will be blinking.
- TFTP Firmware Upgrade: Now enter the following syntax from a Windows command prompt or a Linux shell.
- Login and Configure:Once the router has rebooted you will be able to login to the dd-wrt GUI with your browser pointed to http://192.168.1.1. The default username is root and the default password is admin.
***DO NOT REBOOT THE ROUTER***
Windows:Click Start, Click Run, type command, and then click enter. In the Windows command prompt change the directory to the location of the dd-wrt firmware you downloaded earlier. Once in that directory type: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
Linux:From the shell change the directory to the location of the dd-wrt firmware you downloaded previously. Once in that directory issue the following command: tftp -v 192.168.1.1 -c put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin.
Now wait a couple of minutes while watching the LED’s on the front of the Linksys wireless router. The router will reboot itself once the firmware is done being upgraded.
That is it. You now have a much more flexible firmware loaded onto your Linksys wireless router.